Linking Information from Databases

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Linking Information from Databases

Postby ngalvicia85 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:55 pm

Dear all,

I am being working since a while with HanDbase but I have been working with basic things. However now for my work I want to improve the way I was collecting data, avoiding to click the information from the same row from one database though i haven't being successful with this task. My question is how is possible to click one cell from one database and the program fill the information from the row where is the cell avoiding to click several times the same information, helping me to save time and be more efficient collecting data example to try to explain what I am trying to say:

I have 4 columns first one (Country), Second one (Continent), the third one (Developed? yes/not), and the fourth one is (Religion). I have a database with this information from the whole world. I want to ask to people the name, age and the nationality and I want to click just the name of the country and the program fill the other information from my database someone has an idea how to do it?

Thank you for the help.

Nelson
ngalvicia85

Re: Linking Information from Databases

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:58 am

Hi Nelson,

Thanks for posting. Use of the DB Popup field type along with a secondary lookup database sounds like the way to go based on what you have written.

For example, start by creating a database called Lookup_Info that has three text fields titled City, State and Zip Code, respectively that holds the appropriate information for several different cities.

Then, within your main database, add three DB Popup fields. Point each of them to the Lookup_Info database and select the fields of City, State and Zip Code, respectively. Assign each to the group number of 1.

Now, add a record to your main database. Tap on the field label for City. You will jump to the lookup database where you will be able to select one of the entries in that database. Let's say you choose New York.

You will find that the app takes you back to the edit record screen of the main database with the city of New York, the state of New York and the Zip Code (I don't know it) populated.

Hope this helps to point you in the right direction.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby ngalvicia85 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:33 am

Hi Bryan,

Thank you very much for your help, I will play with the program using your advise.

Nelson
ngalvicia85

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:54 am

Hi Nelson,

Thanks for following up. Please let me know if you have any questions after you try implementing the DB Popups.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase General Discussion