Secondary Sort, Field Order Don't Stick

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Secondary Sort, Field Order Don't Stick

Postby keneneu » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi there,
I have what one might consider a simple, four field (column) database: a check-box, a pop-up, and two text fields. After putting it together I decided the pop-up field should be the last and changed the field order accordingly (and tap Save after each time I change). After syncing I find it back in its original position as the second field. I have a similar issue with sorting: the pop-up is the primary sort field with one of the text fields the secondary. The secondary sort will always revert back to I'm-not-sure-what-it's-doing after syncing. The primary sort will remain in tact. Using iPhone 6.

Using the application is straightforward, but I'm guessing I'm missing some nuance that is getting in the way of keeping bananas ahead of oranges. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken
keneneu

Re: Secondary Sort, Field Order Don't Stick

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your post. This is something that comes up from time to time and I hope to one day make this more obvious to you as you use the program.

The problem comes from the views concept- the sorting, filtering, field order and other parameters of the database are available to set in the DB properties and tools button of the list view, but there is another place where these settings are saved and that is within the views themselves. A HanDBase view is a saved set of sorting, filtering, field order, field width, etc settings. So when you have a view and you make changes to the settings elsewhere (ie, outside the view editor), those changes are set, but when the view is reapplied later, those settings are overwritten with the ones in the view settings.

Thus, if you want the changes to 'stick', you'll want to make the changes to the sort, filter, etc within the view you're working with. If you only have the default view, just make the change there and it should stay beyond a single run of the program!

There is also another option in the views settings. The wording varies depending on the platform you're using but for iPhone it says: When Filters and Sorting Change.. and then presents options of: Do NOT update view, and Update View settings also.

What this setting does is determine if the changes you make in the sorting or filters screen of the list view, or the field order in db properties should be applied back to the view. So if you want to be able to make changes to the sorting and have it automatically be applied to the settings of the view, you set this to 'Update View Settings also'. If you'd like them to reset back to whatever was stored in the view, you choose the other option.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby keneneu » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:37 pm

It helped immensely. Indeed that was the detail I was missing. Thank you very much for bringing it to my attention.

Ken
keneneu

Postby glenwf » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:25 pm

That has been an annoying problem for forever I think.

Thanks for pointing that out. I just thought I was going crazy sometimes. I would have posted a question if I could have figured out what was happening.

I know it is difficult to explain menu items with few words and have people understand the intent behind them sometimes - this is certainly one of those times. Such is life.
glenwf

Return to HanDBase General Discussion