Pre-Sales HanDbase Question

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Pre-Sales HanDbase Question

Postby domtrump » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:30 pm

I tried contacting Tech Support, but I am not getting a response (a bad sign already). If anyone from DDH monitors this forum, please respond.

I need to find the lowest cost way to purchase the products necessary to:

-Run on Windows
-Run on Android tablet
-Sync with MS Access
-Create forms on Windows
-Create forms on Android tablet

What Product(s) would be required to accomplish all of these requirements?

I also need to know the following:

1. Will forms created in Windows run on the tablet AND vice versa?
2. Is there an easy method to convert my existing SmartList ToGo databases to HanDbase?
3. I am a registered user of HanDbase 4 Pro for Palm OS and Windows - do I get an Upgrade Discount when purchasing the latest version for Windows and Android?

Thank you for the assistance.
domtrump

Re: Pre-Sales HanDbase Question

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:45 am

Hi.

This is Brian with tech support. I double checked and unfortunately we did not receive your email. What address did you send to? Did you get a confirmation response that your email had been received?

Based on the needs you listed, you would need:

1. A copy of HanDBase Professional for Android/Windows, available at http://www.ddhsoftware.com/handbaseandroidwin.html (the cost is $24.99)
2. A copy of HanDBase for Android, available from Google Play for $9.99
3. A copy of the HanDBase for Android forms designer, which is available as an in app purchase of $5 within HanDBase for Android

Forms created using the desktop forms designer will run on the tablet and vice versa.

If you can export the SmartList To Go databases to CSV structured text files, the easiest option way to move forward would be to use HanDBase Desktop to create a database with the same structure (field names and types) and then import the CSV file using the File / Import option.

Since you are a registered user of the Palm version, you can upgrade at a cheaper price than what is listed above. This applies to the Professional addon, since it is the only one sold via our site. To upgrade, log in to your account at http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download.html After logging in click the link to the HanDBase Upgrade Wizard (see the right side of the page). Click Continue in the first step of the wizard. In the second step select the package you want (HanDBase Professional for Android/Windows) and click Continue. A coupon for 33 percent off will be added. You can then complete the purchase and download the new installer.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby domtrump » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:15 am

Brian,

1. I submitted my original question by going to the main DDH software page, clicking on support and then filling out the Support Email Form. I received a confirmation e-mail stating that my request was received and that I would get a response in one business day. That was several days ago. Is there a direct e-mail to reach tech support? I am concerned because I know I will have questions with the product and will likely need to contact support.

2. So the answer about easily converting SmartList pdb's sounds like it is "NO." I have a bout a hundred datatabases from my Palm and probably still use about 30 of them. Rebuilding the structure of those databases with all the field types sounds like a VERY tedious task. From what I've read elsewhere on the forum, I should be able to sync my SmartLists with MS Access and then bring them into HandBase - retaining the field types. Sound like the only thing I'll lose is the forms.

Anyway, I'll check out your suggestion for getting the discount tonight. If you could shed some light on why the Support Form isn't working, I'd appreciate it. Thank you for your help.

-Dom
domtrump

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:56 am

Hi Dom,

Thanks for following up.

I have tried the support form and found it was working for me and oddly I have been getting support form based emails from others. It may have been a temporary glitch in the system with our ISP. At any rate, please send me emails at support@ddhsoftware.com and I will be happy to help. Be sure to include as much relevant information as possible when you do.

You can convert via syncing with Microsoft Access but honestly the CSV method is probably faster. Agreed, it is tedious, though. Let me know if there is anything I can help with to convert.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:50 am

I should add that if you get the Professional package for your computer you can use the Data Exchange for Access tool found at Start Menu / All Programs / HanDBase 4 / Tools / to convert Access tables to HanDBase databases with relative ease.

Upon opening Data Exchange you would:

1. Select to convert from Access to HanDBase
2. Select the Access database
3. Select the table to convert
4. Enter a path and name for your to-be-created HanDBase database, ie C:/myGreatDatabase.pdb

A couple of things to note in this case:

- Exclude unique and relationship fields. Use HanDBase's field offerings to recreate relationships. Avoid unique fields because Access does not allow for external sources (HanDBase) to modify them if you set up syncing later.

- Be sure to check out the documentation that comes with Data Exchange to get a good idea how various field types convert.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase General Discussion