Creating Exercise Tracking Database

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Creating Exercise Tracking Database

Postby carrdwight » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:40 am

Greetings,

Hopefully I can set up an exercise tracking database system that meets my needs. I have tried some of the examples from the gallery, but none seemed to meet my need (maybe because they were all created in version 3 and I am using version 4???). I am a longtime user of HanDbase and have created several linked databases that I have been using for a long time; however, I always get tripped up and forget when I try to create a new one.

I would like to be able to do several things:

1) Create workouts by either:

a) Selecting a workout by name from a drop down menu of already created workouts or
b) Creating a new workout with a new name and selecting exercises from a drop down menu.

2) Be able to review past workout records to see what exercises I completed on what date in which order for how many repetitions, etc..

3) Be able to review individual exercise records to see for a given exercise how many repetitions at what weight on which date, etc...

I have sketched out the general set up as follows:

Database 1: Exercise list to use for drop down menu with the following fields: 1) Exercise Name, 2) Muscle Group Worked.

Database 2: Individual Exercise Records which has following fields: 1) date, 2) # of sets up to 10 sets, 3) for each set: 3a) exercise name, 3b) repetitions, 3c) weight, 3d) notes

Database 3: Workout Records with the following fields: 1) Workout Name, 2) Date, 3) start time, 4) end time, 5) # of sets up to 10 sets, 3) for each set: 3a) exercise name, 3b) repetitions, 3c) weight, 3d) notes

Any suggestions, assistance or support is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dwight...
carrdwight

Re: Creating Exercise Tracking Database

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:44 am

Hi Dwight,

Thanks for posting.

For item one, my recommendation is to check out DB Popup fields. Using them you can pull information from other databases. If you assign several DB Popup fields the same number, you can pull information for several fields in a single instance.

For item two, my recommendation is to check out custom views. You can create a view that filters on up to six pieces of information and has three different levels of sorting assigned. You can also limit visibility to a select number of fields. You can create up to 20 custom views so you can switch on the fly. For instance, you could show only free weight exercises with 200 pounds or more, sorted most to least reps.

For item three, you may find custom views for certain workouts to be helpful. For instance you could show fields relevant to dumbbell curls only.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby carrdwight » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:52 am

Thank you for the advise. I am trying to design the program. I am trying to decide whether I should use 2 or 3 databases, looks like you are recommending two.
I would appreciate any comments you might have about the below set-up.

DB1: Fields: Exercise Name, Muscle Group Worked
DB2: Fields: Date, Exercise Name (drop down from DB1), Set1-Reps-Weight-Note ...(set2-set9)... Set10-Reps-Weight-Note

Then use filters, e.g. filter on date to show workout and/or enter workout data as I complete the workout, filter on exercise name to get a record of specific exercises completed and the dates completed, etc...

Seems like the DB2 will grow pretty big and unwieldy pretty quickly. Any advise on how to keep it manageable? Maybe create a new DB2 for each month or quarter?

Eventually, I guess the way to enter workout data as I complete the workout might be to use forms or tabs. Is that what you would recommend?

Thank you again. I have not worked with databases since dBase III years ago.
carrdwight

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:31 am

Hi Dwight,

In the second database, to manage it, I encourage making use of custom views. These are essentially sets of instructions that allow only certain records to show at any given time.

You could build custom views that include filters to show exercises for today, for this week, for this month, for this year, etc

To create a custom view, while viewing the list of records that the label at the bottom of the screen and when the popup appears choose the edit views option. From there you can create a new view, adjust sorting, field order and visibility and create filters.

Hope this points you in a direction that works for you.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby carrdwight » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:58 am

Thank you for the great support. I am still working the design, but I really want to get some sort of tracking system in place so that I can move through my workout quickly without having to try to remember weights and settings from previous workouts. I am hoping to set up a HanDBase system. I have a few more questions:

Can I set a view that filters on two fields, e.g. date AND exercise? I am thinking that would make the large amount of data more manageable. Otherwise, for any given workout I will have maybe 4-10 exercises, each with 3-10 sets. That will result in a pretty big database pretty quickly.

I was originally trying to design the database with links or relationships to exercises in different databases. Can you explain the advantage/disadvantage of setting up a database using links or relationships vice views?

Thank You,
Dwight...
carrdwight

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:12 am

Hi Dwight,

Thanks for following up.

When creating your custom views, the filters option allows you to configure filters on up to six fields at a time. You can filter on the date and exercise fields in one view, date only in another view, exercises and a different date range in another and so on. The beauty of adding these to custom views is that you can switch between these "on the fly" so to speak.

Carrying information forward, if you are using DB Popup fields, is as easy as enabling the default value to be the value from the previous field. You'll find an option for this in the field properties screen.

Regarding relationships and links, I always recommend relationships. They are much more flexible. You can pull data and jump from parent to many child records easily. You can also import and export the records of your databases using CSV files and find that the data managed by the relationship fields works properly. If you have any questions as you get relationships implemented please let me know.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase General Discussion