Upgrading

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Upgrading

Postby Caravelle » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:23 am

I really just wanted to congratulate DDH software for the excellent upgrade policy.

My old HP iPAQ 2200 has been giving me no end of trouble, completely losing all its data and imported programs, so much so that I gave up using it. Not only does the battery expire when I least expect it, but I think the tricky little connector at the bottom is damaged as 9 times out of 10 it resets itself completely to factory settings when something is plugged in - like the mobile charger... This is inconvenient to say the least, but when you are a long way from home and the machine with which you sync your data, it's catastrophic :cry: . I suspect I tried inserting a plug the wrong way round in a moment of stress (or possibly darkness). I have had a new desktop PC for a while now, and have moved up to Vista (which works pretty well on the new PC and to my surprise I quite like it). I have just ordered a new iPAQ 214. The 640x480 screen looks pretty impressive and will hopefully allow more data to be displayed but I have to admit that an important bonus for me was the alternative mini-USB charging/sync socket. I've never had problems with these, and there's no chance of fitting the plug the wrong way round. It's the little things that matter, especially when what's left of your grey hair is turning white and the odd moments of confusion occur. I admit the extra features like Wifi connectivity should also come in very useful if I can master them.

To get to the point, I thought I would check to see what I could do about getting hanDBase again to work with Win Mobile 6 and Vista this time around. I came to the site, searched my old e-mail for my password, and before I knew it I was being offered the latest Enterprise upgrades for free. Wow! I wasn't expecting that :o . Thank you very much :D.

I use hanDBase to keep endless lists of airliners. Now and then I go off on a trip abroad to see and photograph some different ones. Having a checklist to tick off on the iPAQ is very useful, it has many advantages over the classic device known as notebook and pen, and certainly beats memory hands down - especially mine. Lugging a laptop around is just impractical, the camera and lenses are quite heavy enough, and there is only so much you can "carry on". My next trip is to Kuala Lumpur, Hanoi, Saigon, Hong Kong, Macau and Bangkok: hanDBase will be worked hard (I hope).

Thanks a lot.

Caravelle
Caravelle

Re: Upgrading

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:03 pm

You're most welcome- thanks for sharing your experiences with us!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion