Pre-purchase questions

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Re: Pre-purchase questions

Postby dave_in_gva » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:19 am

I wasn't aware that the database structure was also backed up simply by syncing, but thank you Curt.

So far I have only used the sync function on the bottom of the Databases panel of my iPhone which then provides an IP address to direct a browser. Doing that off my PC this morning I have only to date opened a .csv file where of course I have found all the data. It seems you are saying one of the other options for me there is a file I can open that contains the database structure (e.g. field names, field types and attributes etc).

Thanks again, great app and a very supportive community to welcome new users here as well. Thank you very much.
dave_in_gva

Re: Pre-purchase questions

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:08 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for following up.

HanDBase has a variety of different ways it can exchange/export data. It sounds like the method you are using is what we call Desktop Connect.

When using Desktop Connect, you do the following on the handheld:

- Connect the device to the same WiFi network your computer is using
- Open HanDBase to the database selection screen
- Tap the Connect button

What this does it it places HanDBase into a mode where it acts as a mini web server. It is limited to serving its own files, though. The URL that displays is how the web server is accessed.

If you enter this URL into a web browser on your computer, you get a list of databases that are on the handheld. This is what we call Desktop Connect. Below each database you will see options to download a file in CSV format or the actual database, which is a .pdb file.

If you download the .CSV file you will get a structured text file that can be opened in Excel or most any text editor. If you download the .PDB file you will ge the actual HanDBase file, which can be backed up for safe keeping, opened in HanDBase Desktop, etc.

Now, on to actual syncing, this assumes you have one of our sync enabled addons on your computer. This would be either HanDBase Plus, Professional or Enterprise for iOS.

To sync, you would do the following:

On the iPhone:
- Enable WiFi, taking care to connect to the same network your computer uses
- Open HanDBase
- Tap on the Connect button

On the computer:
- Open HanDBase Desktop
- Select the Configure / iPhone Users menu option
- When prompted select the option to set up a new sync partnership (see the lower left corner of the dialog)
- Follow the onscreen prompts, including entering the URL shown on the screen of the iPhone (make sure the format of http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080) is used
- The sync will then complete
- For subsequent syncs, repeat the first five steps and then click on the Synchronize option

The benefits of syncing are that the records in the databases on the computer synchronize with the records on the iPhone. The sync is at record level, which means the newest record will always be copied to replace the older. The sync conduit also creates a backup each time you sync. By default, the 10 most recent copies of each database are kept.

Hope this information helps. If you have any questions, please ask.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Previous

Return to HanDBase General Discussion