Migrating from Palm to HanDBase

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Migrating from Palm to HanDBase

Postby Badarrow1 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:07 pm

I have about 80 databases in my Palm TX (Handmark Mobile DB v4.1.1) that i want to move to HanDBase.
My modern environment is Samsung Galaxy 4S Mini with Android 4.4.2, and Windows 7 Pro on the desktop with the demo version of HanDBase Professional for Android.
My Palm databases are all backed up to the PC.

1. Can HanDBase read from the phone's SD Card?
2. I cannot open any of my databases in HanDBase Desktop. I get this Message "ERROR: The file selected is not a HanBDase 3.0 database!"
3. How do I get HanDBase to read my existing databases? I copied one to the HanDBase folder on the phone, but it does not show in the database list.

I would like to be able to read my databases on the phone before I buy the licensed version of the desktop software.

Thank you
Badarrow1

Re: Migrating from Palm to HanDBase

Postby curtterp » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:21 am

You will need to export the Handmark Mobile DB's to a .csv file.

Then import the .csv file to HanDBase.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Re: Migrating from Palm to HanDBase

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:27 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

First, HanDBase for Android does not read directly from the microSD card. As it seems you found, the databases need to be stored within the HanDBase folder located at the root level of the phone's internal storage.

Next, HanDBase won't automatically read the Mobile DB databases because the two use different formats. It would be like trying to get Microsoft Word to open a Pages document.

What you will need to do is, on your Palm or computer, convert the Mobile DB databases to CSV files. These CSV files are structured text files that will contain field names and all of the records. I don't recall if the developers of Mobile DB ever created a tool to allow for this or not, but you should be able to find out for sure with minimal research.

Once you have the files in CSV format, use HanDBase Desktop to convert the first one to HanDBase format. To do this, follow the steps below:

- Open HanDBase Desktop
- Select the File / Import menu optin
- Choose the first of your CSV files
- Assign a name
- Import
- Once the import finishes, go to Configure / Database Properties and select Fields. There you can adjust field types.
- When finished save your file and repeat for the other CSV files

Hope this points you in the right direction.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase General Discussion