searching all files

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

searching all files

Postby glenwf » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:07 pm

I couldn't find where (what database) I had put some information into. I finally found it with brute force looking.

But, I remember on the Palm, the device had a global search function that could find a key word and tell you which program and file it was in and I'm sure it even looked in database files.

Is there any way to search all the databases to find a key word and discover which database it is in. Once the database file is known the search function works IF you remember to use the correct "VIEW" that the record shows up in. I discovered that the search function only works on the records in the current view.

I would even be willing to try a search routine on the PC side, but I don't see a way for that to work either since the files are not indexable because they are written only for HanDBase to read.

BTW,
iPod Touch 5, iOS 8.1.2. HanDBase 4.9.063.
MacBook Pro. OS X 10.9.5, HanDBase 4.51.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
glenwf

Re: searching all files

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting and Happy New Year to you!

Palm had a great internal search feature built in that would allow for easily searching almost anything that used their basic file format, which made it easy for HanDBase to hook into. The spotlight feature of iOS is great but I don't know if it would be possible to get it to search through all of the fields of a database. This means that it would have to be a custom routine.

I'm logging it as a feature request so it is something that we consider for future development.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby glenwf » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:58 pm

Thanks Brian. I'm glad I wasn't dreaming about the feature of the palm. And, I'm glad you think that search feature is worth considering.

Funny thing about my searching for that information, I was in the right database, but in the wrong view which I didn't realize and I wasted a lot of time looking for the information elsewhere when it was at my fingertips to begin with. If the search function in the database could have found it even if it wasn't in the current view, I would not have had a problem.

How about adding to the search function within the file as a default to search the whole database and not just the current view? I can see it useful to search only in the current view and maybe that could be an option to restrict the search?

Happy New Year. Just finished watching the Rose Parade and back to work (my retirement hobby of course) again.
glenwf

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:18 am

Hi,

Thanks for following up.

You are correct that the search does not go through all aspects of the data when using custom views. This is due to field visibility and filters being assigned.

As a general rule, I always try to leave an "all" view in each of my databases. The "all" view has all fields active and no filters applied to it, so I can see the raw records.

I recommend considering adding one to each of your databases so that you can easily search all of the records, since the views do obscure searchable fields.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase General Discussion