Link issues, 2 child databases?

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Link issues, 2 child databases?

Postby jfh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:20 pm

I'm having a problem in trying to create/understand parent/child fields and linked databases. Here is what I am trying to do:

Setting up databases to track tickets in a season ticket group.

Three primary databases:

1) Partners - list of partners/customers
Key field is PartnerName

2) Games - list of games for which I have tickets
Has GameNumber field (Integer)

3) Tickets - list of tickets by section/row/seat (multiple per game)
Has GameNumber field, want to link to same field in Games
Has Owner field, want to link to partners

Thinking that Tickets can be a child database to both Games and Partners.

I want to be able to update the Owner field in Tickets so that if I select a partner in the Partners SB I can see all tickets assigned.

Want to be able to select a game from Games and see all tickets for that game.

I've tried all sorts of link/linked combos and can't get this seems to be simple setup to work. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Also:

A) can Tickets be a child to both Partners and Games?
B) do records in the child database have to be created after the field parms in the parent DB are established?

Thanks in advance for any help
jfh

Re: Link issues, 2 child databases?

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:33 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

First, I recommend using relationship fields instead of link/linked fields. There are several reasons but ultimately they are more flexible.

Now, you can have the same database as a child to many other different databases so there is no problem in that part of your setup.

Since you want to see a subset of records in another database you will want to create a relationship field within the parent database.

Try the following:

- In the Partners database, add a relationship field
- Call it "ticket lookup"
- Configure it to use a field within the Partners database that you know is also within the Ticket database (related field from this DB)
- Choose the related database
- Choose the related field in the other (Tickets) database
- If you have a calculated field counting tickets within the ticket database, you might want to select it for the Show Value From parameter

Now go back to your Partners database and open a record. Tap on Ticket Lookup. You will be taken to the Ticket database where you will see a list of only those related records that match the field you specify. Upon returning to the Partners database you would also see a count of records/tickets.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Re: Link issues, 2 child databases?

Postby jfh » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:33 pm

Brian,

Thanks! The Relationship type is just what I needed.

Need to play around with the ticket count for partners as that would be nice to have, but I'm sure I can get that.

I have learned that I don't understand when Link/Linked types are appropriate, since Relationship seems to do what I thought they would.
jfh

Return to HanDBase General Discussion