Additional user question

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Additional user question

Postby kettonite » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:06 pm

Hello
I wonder if someone out there could answer this question

I have a database which is edited both on my Android device & also on my Windows desktop.

I would like someone else to be able to edit the database as well, on their computer - but am guessing this may cause havoc with syncing etc?

My idea would be to email the file, let them edit it, not make any changes myself in the meantime, get the edited file back, & replace the old folder with the new on my PC.

Is this do-able or not?

thanks

Alan
kettonite

Re: Additional user question

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi Alan,

What you are trying to accomplish is definitely do-able. There are a few different ways to accomplish it too.

You can definitely go the Email route and you wouldn't even have to worry about not making changes on your device while they were editing. The Android app has a built in function to Synchronize or Merge databases when you do something like that. This is taken from the HanDBase for Android Documentation.

"If the database already exists on your device, instead of simply overwriting the existing file, we
will synchronize the files. That is, new records from the incoming file are added to the existing
file, modifications made to records are brought over and deleted records are also deleted in your
existing database"

So the other desktop user could edit as needed and you could as well. Then when they email you the file back you'd simply open it in HanDBase after it's downloaded and it will be synchronized with what's on your device. Then when you sync with your desktop those changes will synchronize there as well.

Just be aware of How Data is Synchronized. I'm assuming the other person will just be adding and editing records and not changing the structure of the database. If so you should have no issues. The following post gives details on how the data is synchronized.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3939

The other option would partly depend on whether you plan to edit on your Windows Desktop at the same time the other person would also be editing the database on theirs. If you wouldn't then you could set that database up as a Shared Database in the Conduit Settings. If you put it in a location on your network that the other person's computer can access then they can directly edit the database from that shared location. Then when you synchronize with your computer the shared database will be synchronized with your Android device. Then you can also edit that shared database on your desktop as well, you just wouldn't be able to edit it at the same time the other person is, so you'd have to make sure they had saved any changes and exited the HanDBase Desktop before you began editing on your desktop. However, you can continue to edit the database on your Android device with no problems, while they are editing on their desktop.

You can find out more about Editing the Sync Settings and Sharing databases in the HanDBase for Android Desktop and Conduit Quickstart Manual.

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/docs/HanDBas ... Manual.pdf

I hope that helps.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Re: Additional user question

Postby kettonite » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:24 pm

that's enormously helpful

thanks very much indeed for taking the time for such a thorough reply

Best wishes

Alan
kettonite