edit/remove encrypted field (password lost)

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

edit/remove encrypted field (password lost)

Postby msreimol » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:29 am

Hi everybody,

unfortunately, when encrypting a particular field in my database, I must have entered the encryption password with a typo. I can't decrypt the data of this field now.

I am prepared to accept that this data is lost, which isn't tragic since I can recover it from other sources. To make the database work again, I have created a new field and entered the recovered data. However, the original encrypted&lost data is still hanging around in my database and triggers a slightly annoying password promt everytime I open the database. I cannot edit any data in the encrypted field and I cannot delete the field.

What can I do? I do have the password that is necessary to edit the database.

Thanks in advance,
Matthias

BTW: the software really should ask twice for a new password to prevent such typos!
msreimol

Re: edit/remove encrypted field (password lost)

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for writing.

Very sorry to read of the issue you have encountered.

While it is possible for us to recover access level passwords, it is not possible for us to recover encryption passwords.

If you have an earlier, unprotected, copy of the database backed up to your computer, you can overwrite the current copy that is locking you out of the records.

Otherwise, you might try brute force (repeated variations) if you believe that only one character is off of what you intended.

Regarding the confirmation prompts, you are correct.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Re: edit/remove encrypted field (password lost)

Postby msreimol » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:20 pm

Hi Brian,

thanks for your reply.

In the meantime, I realized that only a few records have actually been encrypted. After deleting these records and playing around with the settings, I was eventually able to delete the encrypted field, so everything is fine now.

I completely accept that encryption cannot be undone without the password, because that is what encryption is about. But I do think hanDBase should ask twice when a new password is set!

yours
Matthias
msreimol

Return to HanDBase General Discussion