Dropbox and sync across iPhone, Mac and Windows

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Dropbox and sync across iPhone, Mac and Windows

Postby kchn2000 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:04 am

Hi all,

I'm new to HanDBase. Planning to use it across multiple platforms, Windows 8.1, iPhone6+ and Mac Yosemite. I have Dropbox running on all 3. Wondering if HanDBase supports synchronization of data at the record level using Dropbox across all 3 devices. Any info will be greatly appreciated! (FAQ or for Dropbox, link to a thread, or white papers etc)

Please also advise if I should order/install additional items to make it work. Thanks! /Kam
kchn2000

Re: Dropbox and sync across iPhone, Mac and Windows

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:07 am

Hi,

Thanks for writing. At present HanDBase does not support record level syncing with Dropbox. We are considering options at this time.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby kchn2000 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:43 pm

Brian, Thanks for getting back to me.
kchn2000

Postby kchn2000 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:01 pm

By the way, if I sync between my iPhone and Windows or Mac desktop, will the sync be 2 way, updating records in both devices with the latest changes, or the databases on my iPhone will overwrite the desktop version, or vice versa? Thanks again. /Kam
kchn2000

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

HanDBase's sync is bidirectional or two-way, working at the record level (versus at the field level). HanDBase's conduit (the sync routine) examines the records in each database, comparing the date and time at which each (the records in the desktop copy of the databases against the records in the handheld copy of the databases). The newer records will then overwrite the older records.

Some things to note:

- You can force syncing to be one direction in the conduit settings should it ever be needed.
- The date and time of the handheld and computer should be extremely close.
- If changes were made to a record on the desktop and on the handheld within one minute of each other, the conduit won't sync the record.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby kchn2000 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the quick reply. The info is very helpful.

A related question:

Does the 2-way sync include external fields like a picture or image, or it only syncs the file name, and I will have to sync the actual external image files separately?

Thanks again! /Kam
kchn2000

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:21 am

All fields are synced. Images are not technically embedded into the database, though, due to the potential for the file size to get massive quickly. With that said the conduit will copy the images to a folder titled Images (Documents/HanDBase/Images will be the path on the Mac). An important item to note however is that the Mac version of HanDBase Desktop will not show the images at this time.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase General Discussion