Forms created on PC not working on android.

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Forms created on PC not working on android.

Postby Zinc Oianoid » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:46 pm

Created form on pc with pro version and copied HDF file manually to android device.
Opened db on android device and it looks the same as usual.
On pc it is shown as a form.

According to website I can create form on pc and only need to copy it to device but it isn't working. Ideas?
-----------------------------------------

Longtime MS Access / HanDBase programmer.

PC / Mac / Printer tech Since 1982
Zinc Oianoid

Re: Forms created on PC not working on android.

Postby Gab-Hop » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:44 am

Firstly have you purchased and installed the forms addon for handbase from the app store onto your device

Secondly Have you selected the form as the start form for the android
To do This go to db properties then forms and select the form you want to use as the start form
Without going into the form go to its properties and scroll down to where it has the option to choose, start form for new record, and start form for edit record and select for smartphones
If its a bigger device you may need to tick the option for tablets
Gab-Hop

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:17 am

gab-hop hit the nail on the head with the last part: make sure the "new" and "edit" options are checked for smartphone and desktop/tablet. Right now HanDBase tries to guess whether the device is a smartphone or a tablet based on screen resolution and size. With some phones having higher resolution than tablets it doesn't always get it right, though.

Also make sure the form is in the Forms folder.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Zinc Oianoid » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:43 pm

@Gab-hop. Sort of my point, the web site seemed to imply that the phone/tab don't need to buy the forms app if they use a form already created.
So I created it on PC. This would seem to be wrong and the app is needed to use a form even if created on the PC form tool.

Or have I got it right the first time?

Will try out what you wrote in your earlier reply.

Zinc Oianoid

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:53 am

Zinc Oianoid wrote:@Gab-hop. Sort of my point, the web site seemed to imply that the phone/tab don't need to buy the forms app if they use a form already created.
So I created it on PC. This would seem to be wrong and the app is needed to use a form even if created on the PC form tool.

Or have I got it right the first time?

Will try out what you wrote in your earlier reply.

You definitely do NOT need to have purchased the Forms add-on for your Android device to be able to see and use forms on it. You only need to purchase it if you plan to create or edit the forms on the device. So you can do what you've done, create them on the PC and then copy them to the Android Device.

Do verify that the Start Form option is checked properly, as others have mentioned. I have a Moto X device and the Start Form only showed for me when the "Tablets and Desktops Only" Start Forms options were checked, likely because of the resolution as Brian mentioned.

When you say you copied the file manually...where did you copy it to? On my Android device I'm seeing that there is a Forms folder inside the HanDBase folder on the device. That may be created automatically if you install Form files using the Conduit but I'm not sure, assuming you have the Conduit. It may only be created automatically if you have the Forms Add-On for Android. I'd have to do some testing there. Regardless, if you copied it to the HanDBase folder on your device, where it would be in the same folder as the database, try creating a folder in the HanDBase folder called Forms and then put the _HDF.PDB Forms file in there and see if that makes a difference, assuming the Start Form options are set correctly.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby Zinc Oianoid » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:59 pm

Looks like the Folder was the issue.
Now I just need to make it look right on my Galaxy Note 2.
Does anyone have any presets for different devices?

Zinc Oianoid

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi,

When designing forms for my Note 2, I use the defaults, not adjusting the scaling.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase General Discussion