Wrong file association

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Wrong file association

Postby mignic » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:50 pm

I'll see if I can explain my problem....

I use a different database file for record keeping each year.
So at the start of this year I opened my 2014 (so named) file on my desktop, cleared out all records and saved it as 2015.

That works fine. I store my files in Dropbox.

So I go to Dropbox on my Android and open the file. It merges it with the 2014 file automatically. I do not want it to do this.
I delete both file in handbase on my phone, go back to Dropbox, and open the 2015 file again.
It creates a file and names it 2014.

I can rename it 2015 in the handbase app. However when I share it with Dropbox to save it, it only gives me the option to replace the 2014 file, which I do not want to replace.

How do I fix this? I tried uninstalling the app. It remembers....
Last edited by mignic on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mignic

Re: Wrong file association

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:28 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

Sounds like the issue you are experiencing may be related to the double name feature that HanDBase uses.

HanDBase databases have a file name, which can be complex references of creation dates and more like "my_great_database_v001_04_27_15_try_23.pdb", and a database name, which can reference the contents of the data like "fabric orders".

If you are altering the name in Database Properties / General, you are only altering the latter.

Please check to see if this is potentially the problem.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby mignic » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:51 pm

Brian can you tell me how to change other file name you are talking about?

As I said before, if I clear the files out of handbase app, then load it out of dropbox, it renames it to 2014 in handbase.

When I look at the properties of the file in dropbox, there is only one file name.

Essentially my problem is this.

I have two files in dropbox. records_2014 and records_2015.

I made records_2015 by deleting all the records in records_2014 and saving it as records_2015.

However when I try to open records_2015 in the app, it merges it with records_2014.
mignic

Postby curtterp » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:25 am

The easiest way to make a new file from another (in your case, 2014 to 2015) is this

• From the database list screen, tap the +
  • Select Choose Existing Template
  • You will see a list of existing databases. Select the one that you want to make an empty database from (This case, choose your 2014 file)
  • You will be routed to the Database preferences screen. From there you will go to the General preferences to name the new database (2015)

Now you have an empty database, that has all the fields from the 2014 database, but none of the data.

Here is how the database name works.

When HanDBase creates a new database, you give it a name. This name is used in two places this one time, the file name where the database is stored, and internal to the database headers (something you don't see).

If you try to change the database name by changing the file name, the actual database name is not changed. Only the file name is changed. If you change the database name in the General Properties, that changes the database name that HanDBase is showing you, but does not change the name in the header or change the file name. This is where you are running into problems. Yes it is a little confusing (had me confused for a while until Dave or Brian explained it in the old yahoo group before this forum).

By making a new database based on an existing database, you are creating a new database, with a new database name, database name in the header, and file name. This will accomplish what you are looking for.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby mignic » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:35 am

Thanks Curt.

So just to get this straight, It actually is not possible to change the name on my 2015 file to where that it will quit doing this?

I will try to make a new database and merge what entries I have from the current one into it.
mignic

Postby curtterp » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:29 pm

mignic wrote:Thanks Curt.

So just to get this straight, It actually is not possible to change the name on my 2015 file to where that it will quit doing this?

I will try to make a new database and merge what entries I have from the current one into it.

Unless Dave or Brian chimes in with a way to change that hidden file name in the header, there is no way that I know of.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby mignic » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:48 pm

Ok more problems....

So I created a file with the template and named it records 15.

When I try to share it with dropbox and click add to dropbox, it creates a file named untitled.

I do not want it named untitled!!! Any way around this?

Was gonna create it on my desktop but cannot find the option to use a template....

Looks like it's gonna be named 'untitled' not matter what, if you use an existing template to create a database.
mignic

Postby curtterp » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:09 am

After you chose which database to create a new database from, it should have shown you the preferences screen. At that point you need to go into General Preferences to name the database before doing anything else.

If you press the back, home or any other button before naming the database, it will create the database named untitled.
Have a good day

Curt
curtterp

Postby mignic » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:56 am

curtterp wrote:After you chose which database to create a new database from, it should have shown you the preferences screen. At that point you need to go into General Preferences to name the database before doing anything else.

I did this 3 times just to make sure. I also tried to exporting and sharing it and each time the app sends out a file named 'untitled'.
After I put in the name, I hit OK to save it. Then I have to hit the back button to return to the database list.

Thanks for all your time. Seems this is an issue that needs attention. Unless it's my phone....
mignic

Postby curtterp » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:22 pm

I am able to name the database with a different name using the general preference, on my Galaxy Nexus running JellyBean.

Which Android Device do you have?

Which Android OS is it running?

Did you get HanDBase from the Google Play Store or Amazon?

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling HanDBase?

Do you have only one Android Device, or do you more than one? IF you have another Android Device, have you tried using the other device to see if you get a different result?

Hopefully your answers will help Dave or Brian figure out why you are experiencing a different result that I am getting.
Have a good day

Curt
curtterp

Next

Return to HanDBase General Discussion