Wrong file association

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Re: Wrong file association

Postby mignic » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:49 pm

Yes I can rename it in the app.

Here's how I sync and backup my files.

I press share or export and select add to dropbox. Then I select which folder to put it in.
The first time it will add the folder, hopefully with the correct name. (this is what it is not doing)
From then on when I add it to dropbox it tells me there is already a file with that name. I click replace.

So the problem is now when I add the new file it is named 'untitled'. I can't have that so I rename it in dropbox.
Then when I backup the second time it adds another file named 'untitled'.
It doesn't matter what it's name is in the app.

When I created the files on my desktop and loaded them into handbase from dropbox on my android, it worked just like it's supposed to.

Is there any way to create a new file with a template on the desktop like you can on the phone?
mignic

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri May 01, 2015 5:49 am

To create a new template on the desktop, open the file, then use the File / Save As menu option. Give the file a unique name.

Then alter the name in Database Properties / General and use the Actions menu to delete old records if needed.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby mignic » Fri May 01, 2015 12:46 pm

That is exactly what I've been doing and exactly what is NOT working.

The hidden file name is not changing.

Please read original post.

When I do that there is a file name somewhere that is not changing and causing the app to recognize it from before and name it incorrectly.
mignic

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Sat May 02, 2015 12:46 am

I'm am seeing the Untitled filename problem on my Android device as well. However it's not consistent so I can't tell if it's a HanDBase bug or an issue with the OS. I created a new DB using the option to "Use Existing Template" and chose one of my existing databases. I went into the General Settings and changed the DB name there and then when I used a File Explorer program and went to the HanDBase folder I did, at times, see a file called Untitled.PDB. When I opened it, it would merge with the existing DB of the same name I'd just given the new DB. However when I tried this again, and again, sometimes using a different DB as the template it would then NOT happen and I'd have a new file with the correct name. It seemed like after I did it once and it created the Untitled.PDB file then the next time it would create the correct file, with the name of the DB. So you could try the same thing, create it once, check the HanDBase folder for the file name, try again and see if it creates the correct file name.

I have a Moto X with KitKat 4.4.4.

Now I was able to use the File Explorer program to rename the Untitled.PDB file to a file with the correct DB name. That didn't cause any problems.

As far as doing a Save As on the desktop and then still having a problem with the file name...I'm curious if you have the folder where you are saving the files set to automatically sync using Dropbox. It could be an "issue" with Dropbox. Moreso with the timing of a sync. I'd say to try saving the file, on the desktop, to a folder that is not syncing with Dropbox. Make sure it is working and then add it to Dropbox. When you do that make sure that when you re-open the file in the HanDBase Desktop that you are opening the correct one.

Are you also syncing using the HanDBase Conduit?

As far as this issue... "So the problem is now when I add the new file it is named 'untitled'. I can't have that so I rename it in dropbox. Then when I backup the second time it adds another file named 'untitled'. It doesn't matter what it's name is in the app."

I would NOT recommend renaming it in Dropbox. I'd say to get a File Explorer app like Root Explorer or Astro and use that to rename it, if you still need to after trying the above. To me it sounds like it's partially a Dropbox issue with how it's backing up the existing files. I know there are different settings for what to do when files are deleted, and maybe renamed as well. You might check those. But if you re-name it before actually adding it to Dropbox that should fix that problem.

What are you using to Share or Export the file to Dropbox? HanDBase doesn't have that functionality built in so it could also be an issue with the App you are using to do that. On my device if I open Dropbox and choose the Upload Here option and then choose the menu to see all available options I have to pick one of my File Explorer apps to be able to select a HanDBase file.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Sat May 02, 2015 12:53 am

Oh, and there is no Hidden File Name. There is the actual filename, eg MyDatabase.PDB and the Database name that is stored inside the .PDB file, eg MyDatabase. If you were to open the Records2014 database and then do File and Save As and save that as Records2015.PDB and then go to the DB Properties General Settings and change the Database Name to Records2015 and then Save that file again it will be correct.

BUT...

If that file is saved to a folder that is automatically syncing with DropBox, DropBox could be syncing it during the process of you re-naming the Database in the DB Properties, which could then mess up the file and future syncs. That's why I suggested you save it somewhere outside the folder that might be syncing with Dropbox first, and make sure it's working. Meaning when you close and re-open it that the filename at the bottom of the List View on the desktop is correct and that the DB Name on the List View and in the DB Properties is also correct each time you re-open it. Then move it over to DropBox. But...make sure that after that when you re-open it in the Desktop it's the correct file, if you are using the Re-Open option on the File Menu.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby mignic » Sun May 03, 2015 6:28 pm

Ok you've given me some things to think about.....

I haven't used conduit syncing.

Will try renaming and saving outside of Dropbox.

When I long hold the file I want to back up to Dropbox on the app, it asks if I want to import, export, or share. I choose share a bunch of options pop up and one of them is "add to dropbox".
mignic

Postby Alixtrol » Thu May 14, 2015 1:06 am

I accidentally set the opened one of my files with the wrong application and for some reoson my computer has set all of my applications to the same application please HELP
...Samsung Galaxy S6 cover
Last edited by Alixtrol on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alixtrol

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun May 17, 2015 1:35 pm

Alixtrol wrote:I accidentally set the opened one of my files with the wrong application and for some reoson my computer has set all of my applications to the same application please HELP

Please provide more specifics, as it is necessary to provide better help to you:

- Are you referring to HanDBase?
- What application did you set to open HanDBase's files?
- What operating system is this occurring on?
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Previous

Return to HanDBase General Discussion