Math not right in windows version of Handbase

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Math not right in windows version of Handbase

Postby Zinc Oianoid » Mon May 04, 2015 4:15 am

Windows 7 Pro / Handbase Desktop 4.7.5

Ok, this bugs the hell out of me.
In android version of Handbase this is working fine.
In Windows, when first opening the parent record in which a total is displayed, the numbers are always wrong by major amounts.
This is true for any db that uses a total of relational records.

Example, an acct list, one of which is called wallet. It says right now that I have 158.32 in it, which I don't.
I open the wallet record and number is unchanged.
I then click details button to see the list of child records that are supposed to add up to the amount in that acct.
All the amounts are correct in the running total field with a final tally of 33.73
I close the child list of records but the parent record wallet is unchanged.
I close the parent record and the amount is updated in the list of parent records but only for the wallet record, all other records in parent db are still wrong and will remain so until I do the same bunch of steps for each parent record.

Its driving me to madness :lol:
-----------------------------------------

Longtime MS Access / HanDBase programmer.

PC / Mac / Printer tech Since 1982
Zinc Oianoid

Re: Math not right in windows version of Handbase

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon May 04, 2015 5:32 am

Hi,

Thanks for writing.

What you are experiencing is not really a bug, but rather a feature that has not been implemented in HanDBase Desktop yet. For years all versions of HanDBase acted just as the desktop is for you now. In the iOS versions, and finally then in the Android version, we incorporated a feature where relationships would continually automatically "refresh", so that if you made changes in a child database and that change could somehow be shown in the parent, then it would actually be made. Your situation is the perfect example, where you are pulling across a calculation based on a series of records.

I'll make sure this feature is on the request list for HanDBase Desktop so that Dave is reminded of its need there.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Re: Math not right in windows version of Handbase

Postby Zinc Oianoid » Mon May 04, 2015 11:30 pm

Ya I remember those bad old days.

Well thats a very major part of your program and it doesnt look like there is a work around except what I described and that only works for low quantity records.
Cant be going through each parent record one at a time just to get the totals right.

I wonder how its getting those different totals in the first place.
-----------------------------------------

Longtime MS Access / HanDBase programmer.

PC / Mac / Printer tech Since 1982
Zinc Oianoid

Return to HanDBase General Discussion