Reimplement a lost feature - popups in filters

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Reimplement a lost feature - popups in filters

Postby Daniel Ellis » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:29 am

When I use a field that has a popup menu assigned to it, one nice aspect of the popup (the same goes for dbpopup) is that it lets me always get a consistent exact value placed in the field. For instance, if I have a field called vendors, and I want to enter JOSEPH'S PIZZA EMPORIUM, the popup not only lets me enter it quickly but consistently, i.e. not sometimes JOE'S PIZZA, or JOSEPHS PIZZA EMP, etc. When I am filtering on that field, I can have a high confidence that I am finding every single record with that vendor's name if it was spelled the same way every time because I used a popup to do it.

Now for the feature issue.

Back when I was using the Palm OS platform, if I wanted to filter on a field that was set up with a popup, I could bring up the popup to enter the value in the field criteria. Even better, if the field was a dbpopup, I could bring up the associated db to fill in the value. I found this to be very helpful and efficient and utilized this often. However, the desktop version wouldn't allow me to bring up dbpopups, only regular popups. When I reported this "bug", I was informed that this was not a feature per se, and only accidentally worked the way it did on the Palm platorm, and did not work that way on several other platforms, so it was not going to be implemented on the desktop or the other platforms anytime soon. This was disappointing to me because 1) it seemed like such an intuitively good feature to have within the filter process, and 2) it doesn't seem like it should be that hard to implement, since the subroutine for bringing up dbpopups and plain popups is already coded, and would just need to be made available to the filter.

Then when I switched to the WM platform, I was really dissappointed to find that not only does the dbpopup not work in filters, but plain old popups don't even work. Every value has to be hand-entered, increasing time, but also increasing the chance for error in the entry. The deskop stil works for popups only.

Does anyone else care about this feature? It seems so useful to me. Maybe I am missing something.

How hard would it be to propogate this feature (that I assume still works on Palm) to the other platforms (especially WM!) and also to the desktop? Could it be slipped into a development release?

-Dan

Daniel Ellis
HB Pro 4.1 on WM 6.1 on Alltel(now Verizon) HTC Touch Pro
HB Desktop 4.1 on Vista w/ UAC off, syncing with WMDC
Daniel Ellis

Re: Reimplement a lost feature - popups in filters

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks for your post. The feature is indeed nice to have. Supporting the Popup field type is far more easy than supporting the DB Popup. Certainly not impossible, and if a lot of others wanted this feature, I'd definitely implement it in a future version! Just haven't heard many requests for it.
dhaupert

Postby kmorris » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:55 am

Hi,

Count me in as a requester!

Kim
kmorris

Postby kira13 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:00 pm

I'd be interested as well. I think it would be highly useful for the karaoke DB I mentioned in a different post.

Kira
kira13

Return to HanDBase General Discussion