Ensuring unique entries in a field

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Ensuring unique entries in a field

Postby hndy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:56 pm

Probably best to use an example of what I am looking for. Lets say I have a simple, one table, database of my music collection. One of the fields contains, of course, the artist's names. I want to ensure I enter the artist's names the same way each time, so I want to be able to just choose the name of any artist that already exists in the database, rather than type it in again, and so avoid minor differences and spelling problems.

In other database systems I have used a things like a dropdown list that is populated by a query on the artist name column, filtered uniquely so each name appears only once on the list. (An added bonus would be if the list is filtered when I start typing - i.e. if I type a few letters, say "bea" the choices are narrowed to those containing "bea" and so I can find and choose "beatles" for example)

Does handbase have any way to do something like this (or achieve what I want by an other means)?
hndy

Re: Ensuring unique entries in a field

Postby curtterp » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:06 pm

If you only have a few entries, the popup field would work, but it is limited to 20 entries.

What you are looking for is the DBPopup field. You would have a separate db (table) which contains the list of artists.

Unfortunately, there is filter on the fly with either of them.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi,

There are actually up to 60 popups in a popup list, not 20, but Curt is correct, it's not the right field for the job. We don't have a historical field where popups could come from past entries. You can set the default value for a field to be the previous record, but not create a dynamic list. It's something I always wanted to do but haven't ever gotten to thus far.

I think the DB Popup field would be your best option, combined with the default value of the previous record. Then when you select it, you'll see the list view and can use the quick search box up top to limit the list of records to a certain terms and find the matching value. You'll still see duplicate entries for records with the same value but it's about the best we can do at this point!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby curtterp » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:20 am

ddhsoftwareadmin wrote:Hi,

There are actually up to 60 popups in a popup list, not 20 ~snip~

I blame old age for this :D
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Return to HanDBase General Discussion