Filters

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Filters

Postby craftEcowgirl » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:40 pm

Am trying to figure out how to make a filter that I can save and select when needed? I can make one, but it then filters the database immediately?? I want to make a filter so I can select later. Possible?

Example a dvd movie database. Want a filter to allow me to view all my movies that have a checkbox for "wanting to watch next".
craftEcowgirl

Re: Filters

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post and question! The HanDBase Views feature is the one you're after for this. Views are a named set of filters, sorting, field order, etc. You can select from your saved views by tapping the Default View dropdown at the bottom center on mobile devices. To edit these just tap the dropdown and choose Edit Views...

From here you can create a new view. The new view should default to your current filtered/sorting/etc and give it a name like 'Watch Next'. Now you should be able to call this up whenever you want to apply these filters/settings.

Hope this helps!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Re: Filters

Postby curtterp » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:21 pm

To give you an example, I have a Bills database that has all my monthly bills, due dates, payee, amount to be paid, and a checkbox called paid. I get paid every 2 weeks.

I have 4 views.

• View 1 is called 'All Records'. This has no filters
  • View 2 is called 'Next 2 Weeks'. This has 2 filters. One where the due date is in the next 14 days and the paid is not checked
  • View 3 is called 'Next Month'. This has 2 filters, one where the due date is in the next month, and paid is not checked.
  • View 4 is called 'Past Due'. This has 2 filters, one where the due date is in the past year, and paid is not checked.

When it is payday, I open Bills, and see the view to Next 2 Weeks. When I pay a bill, I press on the checkbox for the bill and it goes away (because it is now checked and the filter is not checked.)

If I screw up and check the wrong box, I open All Records view and find the bill I checked by accident, then uncheck the paid checkbox and then go back to the view Next 2 weeks.

I am done paying bills when all the records disappear from the view Next 2 Weeks.

I only use the view Next Month to see what might be coming up after the next payday.

I look at the view Past Due before paying anything, just to make sure that there are no bills that the due dates are previous to the payday. I could include this filter as an OR statement in the other filters, but for simplicity, I just use the other view.

All views are sorted by Due Date in Ascending Order.

This is just a real world example to how to use filters in views.

Hope this helps explain how to use the views for having an on demand filter.

Have a great day
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Return to HanDBase General Discussion