Building Survey - First Database

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Building Survey - First Database

Postby Zlightbul80 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi. Would appreciate any help.

I’m trying to build a simple database with two tables. Table 1 is a master report, which I export to a word document, a table 2, a large library/template from which I hope to copy records to table 1 to build a report.

Table 1 and 2 contain the same fields ‘element’ [e.g. roof, ceiling, floor etc], ‘item’ [a description], ‘works’, ‘task’, ‘priority’.

I have been able to use DB Popup successfully, and been able to group, so I can pull in the records from table 2 to table 1 once selected.

The problem is table 2 is huge, and impractical to find the records, so I want to create a form which allows me to select ‘element’ and then filters the possible records from table 2 to allow me to copy to table 1.

How do I get a filter to apply based on the element?

My first dB, so appologies if this is obvious?

Thanks. Brad
Zlightbul80

Re: Building Survey - First Database

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi Brad,

This is a great question! There is not a way to filter the db popup related table from the parent, but you can provide some easy ways to filter it when you tap to select:

1. Create Views in your related table. For example if it were cars in that related table, you could create a view named Ford, another named Mercedes, etc. Each one would filter the list to only show the respective brand. This would mean you tap the db popup dropdown in the parent and then select the view selector at the bottom to limit your list.

2. Configure the quick search field or the super search box in iOS where you can see a search box at the top of the list view. Then you could start typing anything to live-filter the database as you're looking through.

Let me know if you need more details on these!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby Zlightbul80 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for this. I’m amazed by this app btw. I’ve tried every currently released database app for iOS that I could find, generally all require ‘online access’, or are very limited in terms of form creation, or just slow/unreliable. Honestly, none of them have come close to Handbase, I can’t believe how powerful it is!

I actually resolved my filter dilemma by creating a ‘steering db’ (2) in between the survey and the element libraries. I have ‘views’ listed in (2) which ‘hop’ from one dB to another. So I have:

1 - Survey DB, which I compile my report and export from when complete
2 - lookup DB (an empty dB, like a table of contents, which links via to each library element dB, interior, exterior, services etc through views)
3 - library DBS - multiple DB for each of the elements full of my library Clauses

I have set up a simple form in 1 & 3 to allow me to ‘copy to new record’, so I can quickly save a bespoke record when I’m on site to my template library (3) for future reference, and can also lookup up library Clauses from (3) the library/past Clauses and copy into the report (1) which works a treat.

I’m able to write template CSV for each of my dB 3 libraries and update at a keyboard, as the iPhone is impractical for too much typing. Unfortuntely, I’ve run into issues with the desktop software. It worked initially with my iPhone, but now when I try to sync, the iPhone app crashes out despite the desktop reporting ‘successful sync’. Nothing is exchanged. I also bought the iPad app as I’ve been so impressed and plan to use a keyboard with the iPad as alternative. Unfortunately, I cannot get the iPad to sync with the desktop software at all. I’ve seen the thread on cloud syncing, and wondered if that is likely to go ahead in future as it would allow me to sync between the iPad and phone without need for the desktop between?

Any help appreciated! Many thanks.

Brad
Zlightbul80

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:14 am

Hi Brad,

Thanks for following up. Sorry to hear about the conduit crashing- there is a sync log and I'm wondering if you could email that to support@ddhsoftware.com so we can take a look and see what could be happening. A copy of the databases from the handheld would also be helpful if you're able.

Regarding the cloud sync, this would be something far better than the technology still in use in HanDBase, but it hasn't been written yet and I am not confident at this point it will be written any time soon. It is dependent on my availability and the demand for solution- there is certainly some demand for it, but probably not enough currently to offset the investment needed on my end. Hoping that will change!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase General Discussion