Switching Platforms

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Switching Platforms

Postby dayjef » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Some advice...Just bought a new iMac. I have been a longtime user from my PC. Have long been syncing to an iPhone as well. Will this conversion from the PC desktop to the new Mac be seamless? Syncing both an iPhone (7s) and iPad Air2. I haven't purchased the iOS version yet but fully intend to. Advice?!?!
dayjef

Re: Switching Platforms

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:12 am

Hi,

Thanks for writing. I assume you meant 'I haven't purchased the Mac version yet...', right? Otherwise, how were you syncing?!

If you have the iOS version already running on your device and all of your databases up to date, then when you install the Mac version and sync all of that will be replicated on the mac machine in a similar fashion to the way your PC version already does this. The only thing that would not transfer over is if you have any shared databases set up (ie, the iPad and iPhone have shared databases in the sync settings. If you have those set up, you'll need to manually recreate these settings in the mac conduit.

Otherwise, all should function pretty much the same. Please be advised that the Mac HanDBase desktop is nowhere near as fully functional as the Windows one- you can make basic edits but there is no form support, encryption support, relational field support, etc. It was always my intention to add that but then sales declined to where I needed to get a full time job and couldn't do this full time. So the Mac version always remained in progress- I wish that weren't the case, as I'm a mac user for well over a decade now and I miss having those features myself, plus I know many users would love to have the full HanDBase experience on their Macs. Anyway, just wanted to give you the heads up on that!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby glenwf » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Don't forget the Wine version that will run on a Mac that does have the things missing on the native Mac version. I use them both, depending on what I'm doing. Mac version for some things, and Wine version (running on the same computer) for the things missing with that.
glenwf

Postby curtterp » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:31 pm

glenwf wrote:Don't forget the Wine version that will run on a Mac that does have the things missing on the native Mac version. I use them both, depending on what I'm doing. Mac version for some things, and Wine version (running on the same computer) for the things missing with that.

Glenn, does the WINE version work on High Sierra?
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Return to HanDBase General Discussion