linked and relationship fields

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

linked and relationship fields

Postby nomvulam » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:36 am

hi
i have two databases 1. Assets and 2. Sites, the first database has fields ID,SiteID,AsCode... DB2 has fields ID, SiteCode, Desc and the relationship between the two is SiteID-ID and on my form i need to create to show my Assets and SiteCode should be a pop-up field... and now i need to know if i should create link/linked fields or relationship and what's the difference.

regards,
nomvulam

Re: linked and relationship fields

Postby dhaupert » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:22 am

nomvulam wrote:hi
i have two databases 1. Assets and 2. Sites, the first database has fields ID,SiteID,AsCode... DB2 has fields ID, SiteCode, Desc and the relationship between the two is SiteID-ID and on my form i need to create to show my Assets and SiteCode should be a pop-up field... and now i need to know if i should create link/linked fields or relationship and what's the difference.

regards,

Hi there!

Thanks for your posting. There are three Knowledgebase articles that address this very topic, and I'd like to point to them hear since they explain things better than I can:

Introduction to the Relationship field:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=221

Should I use a link/linked or relationship field:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=259

Tutorial for using the Relationship field:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=195

Hope these help!
dhaupert

Postby nomvulam » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:35 am

hi
thanks again for the response i now understand... i have another question though
what's the capacity that the handheld can hold in the database, at the moment i have 6500 records in my desktop database and it's takes about 2 minutes to load the data and now i'm worried if i have records more than that will the handheld be able to handle it?
nomvulam

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:28 am

The capacity of the database itself is 65000 records. And the speed of the database running on device or desktop is dependent not on the number of records solely. For example, if you use relationship fields and have them visible in the List view, the list view will take some time to do all the lookups. If you are using relationship fields, consider setting the pixels shown in the list view to 0 if you don't need to see them. You'll see _far_ faster performance. I use databases and we test with databases that contain far more than the 6500 records you are using, so there is likely a lot we can do to speed things up for the database you are using.

If you'd like me to take a look and see what else could be done with your database to speed things up I'd be more than happy to do so. Just email it to me at my email address below!
dhaupert

Postby nomvulam » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:46 am

hi
thanks for the response....
suprising enough on my handheld the database runs faster compared to my deskop but at the same time i'll do as you told me, hide all the fields i don't need to see then i'll see what's happens.

regards
nomvulam

Postby nomvulam » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:08 am

hi
can i add one more issue here, when i connect my Pocket PC to my deskop to synchronize and when i'm looking at the synch log it's looks like there are errors coming out. can you explain why it's doing this? here's sync messages below:

ActiveSync for user: WM_trevorma
** Evaluation copy of the HanDBase Conduit **
1 HanDBase databases installed
2009-10-08 12-47-49: HanDBase note: database 'Sites' is using it's own custom Sync Exchange entry. Default Palm conduit setting may be ignored
2009-10-08 12-47-49: HanDBase error syncing 'Sites':
- Could not read handheld database
2009-10-08 12-47-49: HanDBase note: database 'AssetRegister' is using it's own custom Sync Exchange entry. Default Palm conduit setting may be ignored
2009-10-08 12-47-49: HanDBase error syncing 'AssetRegister':
- Could not read handheld database
2009-10-08 12-47-51: HanDBase warning: Database 'assetregister.' was not found and was moved into an 'archive' subdirectory due to deletion or moving to a memory card. If you moved the DB to a Memory Card on your device you will now find it syncing to a separate storage card folder on your desktop.
2009-10-08 12-47-51: 0 HanDBase databases synchronized (4.02)
nomvulam

Postby dhaupert » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:44 am

Hi again,

There is an update available, just released yesterday that should address that error message you are seeing. Please see this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=463

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby nomvulam » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:40 am

thanks for the info, but since that link is only for licence users and i'm unable to get in.
I'm still using the demo version and once i get this application i'm creating fully functional then i can be able to buy the full version
nomvulam

Postby dhaupert » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:51 am

Hi,

My apologies, didn't realize you were trialing the program! We do the development versions as beta and once we've completed feedback and responses from those users, we release as a demo version as well. Unfortunately the Vista related issues stem from a number of things such as the locations where we put the files, the use of UAC, and more. We had to make a lot of changes and have actually released a few attempts at getting things right. I'm hopeful the latest will be the last before we can launch, so in that case, the demo versions could be out this month. That may already be too late for you. I know many users have gotten by with the current release version on Vista, working through UAC and making sure the user has Admin privileges. The other David here is the expert on this, not me. I'll ask him to chime in and provide some advice!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion