Any tips on using forms for both Palm and Windows Mobile

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Any tips on using forms for both Palm and Windows Mobile

Postby Doug_H » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm reluctantly having to consider moving to an IPAQ 214 from using Palms/Sony Clies for many years and would welcome any tips in creating forms that can be used for both OS's without change.
To gain maximum screen space, it looks like I can size my forms to 210 x 160 but need to avoid using the top 20 and bottom 10 pixels because Windows mobile uses this space
I see the IPAQ does not have a scroll wheel, but are there any drawbacks to making longer forms? for example, under PalmOS , text entry fields won't scroll well after a certain point
Anyone have any suggestions to build for both (won't be getting the IPAQ until my current Sony dies completely)?

thanks
Doug
Doug_H

Re: Any tips on using forms for both Palm and Windows Mobile

Postby dhaupert » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:25 am

Hi Doug,

My apologies, I somehow missed your posting all this time. To answer your question, your Palm forms will likely be fine on the Windows Mobile screen. We have a scale factor setting you can adjust to tweak how large things look on the screen. The biggest issue to perfection is the aspect ratio of the devices. Whereas most palm forms are designed for a square screen, the typical Windows Mobile screen is rectangular. So you can either adjust to fill for that space, or leave room for the input panel that comes up when you type. If you opt for the latter, you don't need to do anything with your forms!

You mention 210x160 which sounds like it has the 1.5x scale factor applied. The bars above and below definitely take from this size. And as I mentioned above, you may wish to leave it empty to account for the input panel that will show when you tap any text field. But as you mentioned, you can also make the forms longer or wider and the scroll bars will make up the difference.
dhaupert

Re: Any tips on using forms for both Palm and Windows Mobile

Postby Doug_H » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:52 pm

Thanks Dave
I really didn't want to have to modify all the forms I have again! I personally don't find the scroll bars that helpful (I often forget to go further down the screen and leave boxes unchecked that should be checked etc), so I tend to build the forms in such a way as to pack as much as I can sensibly get on the screen and then simply move on to the next one rather than have to scroll down or sideways. Looking purely at screen sizes, the IPAQ seemed to give me less space than I currently have, but I hadn't thought to play around with the scale factor and use, for example, 1.3 or 1.7 instead of 1.5 to get the best fit for me.
Doug
Doug_H

Return to HanDBase General Discussion