Installation errors

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Installation errors

Postby nomvulam » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:44 am

hi
i've been trying to install the form in my PDA but each time it's gives me an error
"Unable to install file"\AssetRegister_HDF.PDB to User: jacos(Pocket PC)"
i thought with the update version i won't see this error again but it's still there and it's frustrates me cause i've done all the configurations
nomvulam

Re: Installation errors

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:06 pm

nomvulam wrote:hi
i've been trying to install the form in my PDA but each time it's gives me an error
"Unable to install file"\AssetRegister_HDF.PDB to User: jacos(Pocket PC)"
i thought with the update version i won't see this error again but it's still there and it's frustrates me cause i've done all the configurations

At this time the installation of Forms files is still handled by the Files Conduit in ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC). That part hasn't changed. You will need to enable the Files conduit in ActiveSync or WMDC to be able to install Forms files. It shouldn't be an issue with actual database files now because we changed the location where those files are synced and installed to.

After you enable the Files Conduit you will need to sync your device at least once, through ActiveSync, so it can create the folder for your user where the Forms files will be installed to.

I hope this helps. If not please let us know and we can try to check into this further.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby nomvulam » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:03 am

hi
thanks for your response, this happened after i installed the update version and now i can't even sync my databases it's gives a debug error of which it's doesn't find the "ActiveSyncLog.txt" file some how it's the installation removed it into another location and i'm not sure which location should this file be
nomvulam

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:06 am

nomvulam wrote:hi
thanks for your response, this happened after i installed the update version and now i can't even sync my databases it's gives a debug error of which it's doesn't find the "ActiveSyncLog.txt" file some how it's the installation removed it into another location and i'm not sure which location should this file be

Which version of Windows do you have? Are you seeing any other errors other than that it can't find the ActiveSyncLog.txt file? Can you check in your My Documents (XP) or Documents (Vista) folder and see if there is a HanDBase folder there as well as a WindowsMobile folder in that. Then check and see if there is a folder there that matches your Device user name or that is WINDOWSMOBILE##. If you find that folder are any of your database files in there and do you see the ActiveSyncLog.txt file there?

Are you at all familiar with the Windows Registry Editor? If so let me know so I can have you export some registry settings so that I can check them.

I see that you have the Professional version. Is there any chance that you've set up any databases in Sync Exchange, maybe to sync with MS Access? If so those setting may be pointing to a different folder than the standard sync folder.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby nomvulam » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:42 am

thanks again David for the response
1. i'm using Windows Vista and my Pocket PC is Windows Mobile 5.0.
1. the error that i'm seeing when i run the synchronisation, it will sync and when it's about to finish the error "DDH Software HandBase Sync Utility has stopped working" and then gives me the option to debug or close the program
3. yes, the handBase folder is there "C:\Users\Nomvulam\Documents\HanDBase\WindowsMobile"
and within the WindowsMobile folder there's another folder matching my device, the ActiveSyncLog.txt and HDBSync.exe files.
4.within the folder that matches my device there are also three folders named: backup, archive,install and also my databases
5.which file should i export in Windows Registry Editor
6. i'm a bit confuse with the last question but this is what i have in the Sync Exchange, databases that are in the Databases box are pointing into my local drive where i'm saving the database i created on my desktop

hope the above make sense
nomvulam

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:18 am

nomvulam wrote:thanks again David for the response
1. i'm using Windows Vista and my Pocket PC is Windows Mobile 5.0.
1. the error that i'm seeing when i run the synchronisation, it will sync and when it's about to finish the error "DDH Software HandBase Sync Utility has stopped working" and then gives me the option to debug or close the program
3. yes, the handBase folder is there "C:\Users\Nomvulam\Documents\HanDBase\WindowsMobile"
and within the WindowsMobile folder there's another folder matching my device, the ActiveSyncLog.txt and HDBSync.exe files.
4.within the folder that matches my device there are also three folders named: backup, archive,install and also my databases
5.which file should i export in Windows Registry Editor
6. i'm a bit confuse with the last question but this is what i have in the Sync Exchange, databases that are in the Databases box are pointing into my local drive where i'm saving the database i created on my desktop

hope the above make sense

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to this.

2. Regarding the error you are seeing, more than likely it's due to a corrupted database on the computer. To fix that you can either try to open each of your databases in the HanDBase Desktop and you'll likely come across one that one open. You'd then need to delete that one from the Sync folder. Or you can just delete or rename your user's sync folder under C:\Users\Nomvulam\Documents\HanDBase\WindowsMobile and then sync again to replace it.

3. Is there really the HDBSync.exe file in that folder? That's very odd as that's not the standard location. During the installation did you change the location of the install from C:\Program Files\HanDBase4\ to a different folder?

5. If you are familiar with the Windows Registry then if you could export the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DDH Software\HanDBase4 key and send that to support[at]ddhsoftware[dot]com to my attention I can make sure the settings are correct for the current install.

6. Regarding Sync Exchange, you say your databases are listed there and pointing to your local drive where you are saving the files. What is the exact location of these files, eg C:\Users\Nomvulam\Documents\HanDBase\WindowsMobile\WMUSER\ or maybe C:\MyDatabases\? Under Vista writing to certain folders is restricted and if where you are saving them is a restricted location then that could also be causing the error you are seeing, because it can't write to that folder.

Also regarding Sync Exchange are you actually syncing with multiple users or syncing your databases to MS Access? If not then it's really not necessary to have your database files listed in Sync Exchange. By default the conduit will sync them to the C:\Users\Nomvulam\Documents\HanDBase\WindowsMobile\WMUSER\ folder on your computer.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Return to HanDBase General Discussion