ODBC question

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

ODBC question

Postby Doug_H » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:25 pm

I am currently playing around with using the ODBC driver (only trial version at present). While I can use it successfully with Crystal Reports, I had been hoping for something quick by modifying some existing Word reports (which I currently load via a CSV export file from HB). Both Word and Excel (2003 version) crash - with both existing and new documents - just after I connect to the data source - I know the documentation does not include these apps as among those supported, but is it fair to assume the driver doesn't work with them, or am I missing something?
Thanks
Doug
Doug_H

Re: ODBC question

Postby dhaupert » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:22 pm

A lot of ODBC enabled applications require certain ODBC commands that we don't support. We only have implemented the most basic commands required for Access, Crystal Reports, etc to get them. Unfortunately I think most of the other Office apps do require higher level of ODBC.

On the flip side, you can work around this fairly easily. Assuming you have the enterprise version of HanDBase, you not only have the ODBC driver, but the ODBC Sync exchange. This means that whenever you sync, you can have an ODBC compatible source updated as well. So for example, you could use Access as a go between- sync to Access, and then access this data via the ODBC connection in Word 2003 mail merge.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Re: ODBC question

Postby Doug_H » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:52 am

Thanks David,
I'll be upgrading to the enterprise version so I'll give that a try, but, in the end, it may prove simpler to finish writing the Crystal report - my Crystal skills are a bit rusty, so I was trying to take a shortcut!
Doug
Doug_H

Return to HanDBase General Discussion