spreadsheet <-> handbase

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

spreadsheet <-> handbase

Postby GaelicGrime » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:39 am

First, I have been a loyal user for a very long time (not that that will increase the chances of my getting an answer LOL)

I have bene using handbase for ever and never found a problem I could not solve easily using either trial and error or the manual.

I think I have now discovered a problem which may be a feature request (I will beg on command)

I have an open office spreadsheet I wish to exchange data with a database. I wish to be able to edit either and sync with the other.

CSV has always worked well for this task, field seperator set to <tab> and away we go back and forth all day.

Now I need to do this with a couple of calculated fields which need to be calculated ONLY on the palm (antique Z31). I can remove the calculated fields easy enough when exporting the CSV but I can not figure out how to import a CSV from the spreadsheet leaving the calculations intact in the imported fields.

I would settle for being able to import the formula since I can easily include that in the spread sheet.

Am I missing something or is this not currently possible. If the latter what would I need to do to bring this to the attention of the proper people?
GaelicGrime

Re: spreadsheet <-> handbase

Postby dhaupert » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi there,

First, thanks for being a loyal user. In this day and age, we count on folks like you to keep us going!

I was unclear on the import aspect of your question. If the field you are importing into in HanDBase is a calculation, anything you import will be ignored as HanDBase recalculates the record as it saves it. So it shouldn't matter what is in there, and unfortunately you can't force a value.

We can't import the formula, since our formula is per datatabase field, not per record.

Please let me know if I'm messing up your question- I have a feeling I'm not getting it!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion