Fonts are too small to read on DDH web site!!

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Fonts are too small to read on DDH web site!!

Postby Astroman33 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi! I was searching for some databases and discovered that the font size on the web site is incredibly small. And when I try increasing the font size in my browser, some of the banners change in size, but the information (database names, search fields, etc.) all remain in the same tiny, tiny font!

I'm using Safari on a Mac and tried different User Agents to have it emulate other browsers, but none of them worked. Not sure what's going on.

In fact, the text on any of the DDH web site pages is tiny. Any suggestions?

I had to give up looking for databases. (I was hoping to find an update to a wonderful baseball records collection that was designed for HanDBase.)
Astroman33

Re: Fonts are too small to read on DDH web site!!

Postby FPy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:44 pm

Hello,

I agree with you, the fonts are really small on the Web Site.
You're using Safari on a Mac; do you know "Command +" and "Command -" ? (or under the View menu).
That could perhaps help you!

Frederic

[Edit]
Sorry, I noticed too late that this options, on DDH Web site increases all... except the font size!
It must be the way the site is done, because it should work! (for exemple, it works in this forum)
[/Edit]
FPy

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:45 am

Hi there,

I use Firefox on my Mac and the Cmd+ and - work fine on the font size on the DDH site (and any other site for that matter). Just tried Safari to see what you folks are seeing and indeed it doesn't seem to resize things. Not sure why, but we will check into it and see if there is something we're doing that is keeping the fonts from resizing in Safari.

I'll let you know if we have a fix for it!
dhaupert

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:02 am

Hello,

This is also happening in Safari on Windows, but not on Firefox or Internet Explorer.

I did some research and it looks like most browsers have switched from having the option to just enlarge or decrease the size of the font to zooming the whole web page. From what I can tell it has something to do with using pixel sizing for fonts vs using em, which I can't find a definition for. Apparently web standards have moved to recommending, even requiring, em and not px or pt (point). Since Safari is much more standards based it makes sense they would follow this standard.

Changing things so that it would properly resize would likely require a complete overhaul of the website. I'm going to do some further research though to see if that is indeed the case. If you are willing I might post some links to test pages to see if changes I make do indeed fix this issue.

It does seem a little odd to me that Apple would assume that every web developer would use em, or have migrated to em. Which makes it harder for users of Safari to see certain web pages if they haven't been updated to standards that are basically only a year old, based on my research.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Return to HanDBase General Discussion