Multiple Users Desktop and Mobile

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Multiple Users Desktop and Mobile

Postby R-ProInsulation » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:40 pm

We have the HanDBase Desktop software for Windows and the HanDBase app for iPhone. We currently have two users who need to access the database on seperate desktops and seperate iPhones. Currently we have the PDB file saved on a (very basic) file server, and we are tryng to access the file on two different laptops. Is there any way to work with the program this way without the possibility of overwriting each other's changes, or do we need to integrate our database with Access or similar program? I have not been able to find much documentation on this issue, so if you can give me guidance or point me to a document that would be awesome. Please keep in mind I am very new to this product so I do not understand all the in's and out's yet.

Thanks for your help in advance!
R-ProInsulation

Re: Multiple Users Desktop and Mobile

Postby dhaupert » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Hi there,

Indeed you can have both users sync to this central file. If both desktops can map to the drive as a virtual drive letter, the file can be treated like it's local to any other file.

The basic steps are as follows:
1. Copy the master database file to the central server location and set up your mapping to it for each desktop.
2. When you are setting up the database in the conduit, you have to choose the option to create a shared database, and then point to this shared file.
3. Make sure to double check your sync settings to make sure they are the way you'd want (ie, synchronize, most likely, but depending on your situation).
4. Repeat 2-3 for the other computer.

That should be all you need to do.

You mentioned going through Access. There is an added benefit of doing that- each desktop would have their latest copy of the HanDBase database in their own respective folder. That would make the paper trail more complete than both syncing to the same HanDBase database. In other words, it may behoove you to have the individual databases around if you ever need to access either individually or trace down an issue.
dhaupert

Postby R-ProInsulation » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks Dave. It appears to be working through Access. The only problem we seem to be having is that when we sync, the only way we can get the fields to update in HanDBase Desktop (from the other users changes) is to close the program and reopen. Syncing and/or Refreshing the database does not work. Is this a bug, or are we doing something wrong?
R-ProInsulation

Postby dhaupert » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi there,

This could be a bug- we do some caching to speed up reopening databases, but it should be checking the file date to make sure it hasn't changed. Perhaps there is an issue there.

I believe at one point I added support for pressing F5 to refresh the list view. Can you try that and see in the meantime?
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion