Mobile Web Site

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Mobile Web Site

Postby Graham » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:36 am

Considering that DDH provide software for mobile devices would it be possible to have mobile formats for the web site and forums?
Graham

Re: Mobile Web Site

Postby dhaupert » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:52 am

Are you having trouble accessing our site from your device? Other than a flash banner ad here and there, it seems to work just fine on my iPhone, android devices and most devices with standard based browsing.

I had no immediate plans for a mobile web based version of the site based on the fact that browsers on mobile devices are leaning towards full desktop functionality and that the few sites that I use that force me to a mobile site are pretty frustratingly sub-par!
dhaupert

Postby Graham » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:53 pm

I think viewing a web page is always a compromise on a mobile device, are your thoughts on existing mobile sites based on the design rather than the format? A mobile site (well designed) for a mobile device seems to be the perfect match.
Graham

Postby dhaupert » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:24 am

I guess I am just of the opinion that you either compromise the content to fit the screen, or compromise to the display font size to get you the full web page. Most new Mobile devices show the desktop versions of a site just fine, though small and require zooming in. For me, personally, I'd rather that, than a subset of the web site optimized for viewing on a mobile device. It's also 2x the work for the web developers as well, and typically the mobile site always lags in feature set and content updates due to limited resources.

Anyway, to directly answer your question, I don't have plans to deliver a mobile version of our site based on the combination of my own preferences, the lack of demand for one, and the limited resources we have. If any of the above change, our plans may change as well, but as of now, it's not been a hot topic, so we'll see what comes of it!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion