Looking for some guidance in creating a "solution"

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Looking for some guidance in creating a "solution"

Postby paulori » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Have started using HanDBase on the iPhone as an evaluation tool and looking for some pointers for the next phase of the project. First some background.

I am the director of a residency program that trains family doctors. As part of that program we have to regularly evaluate the learners. I have used HanDBase on the iPhone to create a simple evaluation tool. Once completed I then email it to the learner and the central admin assistant for filing. The next step is to take it beyond just my iPhone but also to improve centralization of the data.

Re the first "sharing" point. I have been simply showing others how to create the database on their own. Obviously a more elegant solution would be to create a template for others to import. I see talk of importing templates on the web site but nothing on how to create them ( so I am assuming I am just not looking in the right place:).

Re the second centralization point, I do see some tutorials about synching with Microsoft access. However, what I am more looking for is a way to take that email and export/import it. Thus I am making the (probably naive) assumption that the email being in a tab delimited form, would be the simplest option. The likely end tool will be Sharepoint ( as this is what is already being used in another project. The emailing is very important. Having to synch with the desktop would not work as it would likely as not not happen.

Very much a neophyte so looking for help.

TIA

Dr Paul Mackey Inc
MBBS, DRANZCOG, DA, CCFP, FRACGP
Site Director
Peace Liard Site
UBC Family Practice Residency Program
paulori

Re: Looking for some guidance in creating a "solution"

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:24 pm

Hello there,

Thanks for posting your question, hope I can provide answers to these and any other questions you may have. Seems like there are two questions in this posting to address:
1. Distributing the database designs you made as templates for HanDBase users.

If you were to put your database file up on a web site and create a page linking to it, you can provide this link to other users to download to their HanDBase iPhone program. The way you can let Safari (the iPhone's browser) know that HanDBase should be the one opening that file, is to make your link like this:
Instead of a typical link which is http://www.sitename.com/filename.pdb
you would use: handbase://www.sitename.com/filename.pdb

Then when a user goes to the page with that link (via their iPhone) and clicks it, HanDBase will launch and download and install the template file.

When you choose the + option from within the Choose Database screen, one of the options is to download a new template. What happens there is that we basically link to Safari and show the HanDBase Gallery pages, optimized for the iPhone screen. So you can see it in action there!

Alternatively, you can send a blank version of the database to your users, and they can use either the Desktop Connect mode via a web browser to install, or the HanDBase Plus or Professional add-ons to install this via our desktop software.

2. Getting data collected via email.

The file that is attached is a HanDBase database file. If the person receiving the emails is at a desktop computer and using the Windows Desktop, merging is actually quite easy. Let's assume that person has this setup, and that they have a master database of collected data. The process would be this:

Assuming the HanDBase Desktop is running and the master database is opened..
a. Save the email attachment to some place on their hard drive.
b. In the hanDBase Desktop, select File|Merge Database. Choose the database file just saved.

It's contents are then synchronized with the master table and new additions are added in. One important note, this is more than just a collection, but a true merge/sync of the data. That is, any changes to existing records will update the records in the master table, and any deleted records are also going to be deleted in the master table. So use caution and perhaps export the master table to another format on occasion to prevent the possibility that a user deletes all their records when you didn't intend for that!

Hope this answers your questions- please feel free to post any further ones you may have.
dhaupert

Postby paulori » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Phew. Thanks for the detailed reply. Going to take a few reads to digest it all.
paulori

Postby daisy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:15 am

The records that I email (from an ipod touch) do not seem to be in the form of an attachment; it simply appears as text.

How does one send it as an attachment?

Is it possible to merge files (as mentioned above) using Mac Desktop software?

Thanks
daisy

Postby dhaupert » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi,

There are two ways to email data from HanDBase databases using the iPhone version. The first is via the Email database option. You do this from the Choose Database screen. Select Manage at the top, choose your database and select the email option. This will attach the entire file as an attachment.

The second method is to email a text representation of the data, which is the one you seem to be doing already (under email record or email records).

Hope this clarifies things!
dhaupert

Postby daisy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:55 pm

Thanks for the clarification, but it leads me to another question.

Is it possible to email a database file that has both the parent database info and info from linked database fields?

Thanks
daisy

Postby dhaupert » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:26 pm

If you do the text export, the linked data is exported along with the parent data. But when you send a file, it's currently limited to attach only one file per email, so you'd have to send out two emails, unfortunately.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion