linking 2 databases

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

linking 2 databases

Postby fritzmom » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi Everyone

I've spent hours searching the forums, etc and reading about the differences between 'Link', 'Linked' and 'Relationship' fields. I've tried different combinations to no avail. I need some guidance please. Hopefully there are some Smartlist to Go converts out there who can understand what I'm trying to say, and help.

I'm running Desktop Win XP and HanDBase Plus for iPhone/iTouch (the latest build).

I'm also a convert from Smartlist to Go for Palm OS.

I have 2 databases in Smartlist: 1. Bird Journal - where I keep a database of birds seen in my yard, sorted by year. 2. Birds of N America - 'parent' database that I link to, to add to my Bird Journal.

In Bird Journal, there is a symbol that looks like a sideways 8 that is a 'key' that I touch that takes me to Birds of NA. Once in Birds of NA, I touch the name of the bird that I want to record in my backyard database, and my backyard database (Bird Journal) gets updated with the bird's name. Then, in my Bird Journal, I enter info like date, where, etc.

I have been successfully converting some of my Smartlists to HanDBase, but I'm running into difficulty trying to figure out how to connect these 2 databases. Of course it probably doesn't help that I couldn't figure out how to link databases with Smartlist either :roll:

If anyone can help me, I sure would appreciate the help. Also, does anyone know why, when I try to download from the free database gallery, my PC wants to install the db on my Palm and not in HanDBase? There is a tutorial db there on this topic, but I can't seem to access it!

Thanks in advance
Barb
fritzmom

Re: linking 2 databases

Postby dhaupert » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:14 am

Hi Barb,

Thanks for your post. We have a field type called the DB Popup- this field type lets you select a field value from another database as a popup list from one database. I think this is the type of functionality you are looking for here. Here's a link to a tutorial on setting this up:

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebas ... d=253&UID=

Let me know if you have any further questions on that.

In regards to the double clicking of files- on the PC, only one program can have control of a file extension. In this case the PDB extension is being used by the Palm Desktop program and not by us. While this can be changed manually, it's not for the feint at heart. Instead, I'd recommend dragging the file to the HanDBase Desktop to open it.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby fritzmom » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:19 am

Hi

Thank you Dave very much for your assistance. The DB Popup is exactly what I was looking for :D . I feel somewhat 'stupid' for asking the question when the answer was so simple!

I also can open DBs in HanDBase now, that I 'drag & drop' to HanDBase on the desktop.

After using Smartlist to Go for many years, I'm finding HanDBase to be MUCH more user friendly.

Thanks to DDH Software for all the Great Work

Barb
fritzmom

Postby dhaupert » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Barb,

Glad to be of help and glad it's working out well for you! Don't even feel stupid for asking a question- that's what we're here for :)
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion