Cancel Record

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Cancel Record

Postby Reggae » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:58 am

Hi,

Is there anyway I can cancel a new record, i.e. prevent it from being physically added into the database, if it fails some validation on one or more of its fields? I know there is a cancel record function but I want this done automatically if possibly otherwise I'm assuming a user could ignore any validation error messages and simply save the record anyway?

Thanks

Reggae
Reggae

Re: Cancel Record

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:11 am

Hi Reggae,

On a handheld device that closes the programs on a whim (as you switch between other programs), it's very hard to restrict and require some type of input. Otherwise, as you switched out, we'd have to lose the entire record which may not have reached the point of completion. What I recommend users do is set some type of view that only shows valid records. So if someone enters a partial record or one that does not meet certain criteria, you can have a view to show those based on field values and filter settings. And you can have another view that only shows completed/valid records.

If you have a version of HanDBase that has Custom Forms support (namely, HandBase for Palm OS or Windows mobile) you can do things like hide the save button in a form until it's deemed valid based on a few comparison operations. A lot of users have done this with success on those platforms and when we add forms support on platforms like iPhone, the same will be true there!
dhaupert

Re: Cancel Record

Postby Reggae » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:32 am

Thanks Dave I'll do something like you suggest.
Reggae

Return to HanDBase General Discussion