new feature for unique field type

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

new feature for unique field type

Postby Kylev » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:10 am

Hello,
would like to be able to set a default value for this field.. ie... 000 and then for each new record added, it would add 1 to it or whatever you specify.. would also like to see this field non editable..

and while im at it, what would be the hope of some day being able to set a mask for fields.. ie.. when you enter just the digits of a phone number in, it formats it to (123)456-7890..

im a new user to handbase but like it so far.. keep up the good work!!
Kylev

Re: new feature for unique field type

Postby dhaupert » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:05 am

Hi,

Thanks for your post and interest! The issue with your suggestion for the unique field is that database records can be edited/created in multiple locations- desktop, various devices and Access and other ODBC sources. Lets say you are adding records on the desktop and on an iPhone. If they are both keeping their own counters- there will be duplicates for this. This is the same issue we have with the current version of the Unique field, which is one reason why it's only meant for legacy usage with old databases designed when we had no way to sync multiple sources together.

Regarding the mask for fields, I would like to see this as well- I think it will be a better for our forms interface since we wouldn't need to redefine the database format to support this and could provide more flexibility there. I would anticipate seeing this some day in the future!
dhaupert

Postby BruceArnold » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:28 pm

I'm not sure this is relevant, but I often include a Serial Number field in a database. It is a Calculated field. If, say, it is Field 3, then the formula is (P3+1), which means take the value of field 3 in the previous record and add one. In the first record, it reads the value of the non-existent previous record as 0, adds one, and puts a 1 in the field, and so on down the line. Works very well for me. In addition, if I am drawing data from another database through a DB Popup, both can have a serial number field like this without affecting each other. Does that help any? Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to do?
BruceArnold

Postby dhaupert » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:24 pm

Hi Bruce,

That works if you never filter the database- if you do filter it, the calculations are redone and suddenly your unique values are assigned to different records!
dhaupert

Postby brandon74 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:53 pm

thats cool, thanks for posting
brandon74

Return to HanDBase General Discussion