related databases: conditional viewing and adding to child

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

related databases: conditional viewing and adding to child

Postby clayc » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:59 am

Hi

im a newbie to handbase. im trying to duplicate a database that i have created in filemaker pro.

basically i have two related databases GARDEN and PLANT NAMES.

GARDEN
field 1: Type eg leafy green vegies
Field 2: Name
Field 3: Variety

PLANT NAMES
field 1: Type
field 2: Name
Field 3: Variety

when i select leafy green vegies i want handbase to look in PLANT NAMES and filter out all other data and just show me names of plants related as a popup eg Lettuce or silverbeet. When i select Lettuce in the Name Field i then want Handbase to again filter for variety, only showing me potential varieties related to the plant name Lettuce. Finally if i make a new addition to the variety field in the GARDEN database, eg lettuce cos, i want this to be also added to the PLANT NAMES database so when i do another search i dont have to keep recreating the same varieties.

as i said, i have this happening in filemaker (its based on relationships and conditional filtering) but i keep getting blank screens when i try to recreate this on my iphone handbase. ive read about relationships and linking, and ive downloaded applets to try and understand what is going on.

can anyone offer any guidance?

thanks

clayton
clayc

Re: related databases: conditional viewing and adding to chi

Postby dhaupert » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:24 pm

Hi Clayton,

Would it be possible to email me a set of the HanDBase databases you have so far? I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you're asking for, and maybe it will be clearer if I see it myself.

My email is listed below..
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion