Main form with buttons or tabs

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Main form with buttons or tabs

Postby dkeiffer » Sun May 09, 2010 11:36 pm

I would like to create a form that will be used to jump to other databases/forms.
I have 3 other databases with forms for each database.
Now I would like to create a form that would be the main form (first one loaded) with buttons or tabs to load each of the other three forms and then be able to return to this main form from each of the other forms.
Again, the other three databases/forms are separate and distinct databases/forms
I have tried this but was unable to get it to work.
I have searched thru the forum but have not found anything that comes close to this.
Any suggestions or tutorials on how to do this.
Thank you,
dkeiffer

Re: Main form with buttons or tabs

Postby dhaupert » Mon May 10, 2010 10:38 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. You didn't specify what platform you're using- that would be good info to have so I can better direct you.

A form is for the data entry screen, not a replacement to the list view screen at this point in time. So while you can specify that a form is loaded at startup it has to go with a specify record. Now the question is how do the records in the other tables relate to this particular record selected? You can use the Jump to Form in other db function for a tab or button to do this, but you have to assign it to a relationship or link/linked pair for this to work. There is a tutorial to show you just this:

Palm OS version: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebas ... d=302&UID=
Windows Mobile: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebas ... d=303&UID=
Windows Desktop: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebas ... d=304&UID=

If you don't have a field in the main database that relates to other database records via a field in the other databases, then while you can't really jump to them in a relational way, you can still set up the above to work without pointing it to a relationship or link/linked pair, just don't assign the data source to any particular field type. It works anyway, without relating the data.

Let me know if you have any further questions on this!
dhaupert

Postby dkeiffer » Mon May 10, 2010 2:01 pm

Thank you for your quick reply.
It was pretty late in the evening when I asked this question.
After reading it this morning I found that I wasn't quite clear in what I asked.
First of all I am using Windows Desktop to create my databases and forms which will be running on a Palm PDA and eventually on an iPod Touch when forms becomes available for it.
Second, I would like to jump from the main form to a list view in each of the other 3 databases and then back from each of these to the main form.
Hope this makes sense.
I will be looking at the tutorial that you suggested, hope it answers my questions.
Thank you,
dkeiffer

Postby dhaupert » Mon May 10, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi,

Yes, jumping to the list view is quite easy if you have the relational features set up- for example, if you have a link field pointing to another database, then when you assign a button to 'follow link' action, and assign it's data source to that link field, it will do exactly as you desire!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion