HanDbase 4 sync problem

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

HanDbase 4 sync problem

Postby wilbrian » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:44 pm

I am trying to switch over to HanDbase 4 Palm. I have it installed on a Vista Business PC. I cannot get the sync to work properly. If I open the Desktop program and go to "Configure", "Palm Users", "Conduit Options"... I click on my Palm User Name and then get to the sync dialog screen. The "Synchronize HanDbase" section is marked to "Do Nothing". No matter how many times I change it to "Synchronize the files" (even if I check the "Set as Default" box), it will not properly synchronize between the desktop and handheld. I make changes on the handheld including adding records to the database and they get completely wiped out the next time I sync. I've checked for updates to the program. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled the program (rebooting in between) and yet the problem persists.

I am trying to get HanDbase up and running so that I can port all of my SmartList files over to it. I then plan to convert the whole shooting match over to iPhone and leave the Palm world. Getting things working properly, though, is critical to this whole plan. Please help!!
wilbrian

Re: HanDbase 4 sync problem

Postby Frank_Black » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:11 am

I'm having the same problem. I made three databases on the Palm, but I cannot get them onto the PC except as a Backup. I keep telling it in the Conduit options to synchronize, but it does nothing and then resets the setting to "Do Nothing".

Frankly, I just don't get how it works with database files between the PC and the handheld. It makes no sense.
Frank_Black

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:05 pm

Frank_Black wrote:I'm having the same problem. I made three databases on the Palm, but I cannot get them onto the PC except as a Backup. I keep telling it in the Conduit options to synchronize, but it does nothing and then resets the setting to "Do Nothing".

Frankly, I just don't get how it works with database files between the PC and the handheld. It makes no sense.

One thing that is very confusing to many people (myself included) is that when you change the settings for a sync conduit (built in apps like Datebook as well as HandBase) you have to check the set as default checkbox, or else the change you make will only stick for one sync.

So here's what you do:
Right click on Hotsync icon
Choose Custom
Choose HanDBase4 and then options
Set your sync option appropriately and click the checkbox to set as default.
Save the changes.
Do a sync and check that the setting stuck!

Now assuming it does, check your hotsync log and see what it says for HanDBase. Let me know!
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:09 pm

wilbrian wrote:I am trying to switch over to HanDbase 4 Palm. I have it installed on a Vista Business PC. I cannot get the sync to work properly. If I open the Desktop program and go to "Configure", "Palm Users", "Conduit Options"... I click on my Palm User Name and then get to the sync dialog screen. The "Synchronize HanDbase" section is marked to "Do Nothing". No matter how many times I change it to "Synchronize the files" (even if I check the "Set as Default" box), it will not properly synchronize between the desktop and handheld. I make changes on the handheld including adding records to the database and they get completely wiped out the next time I sync. I've checked for updates to the program. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled the program (rebooting in between) and yet the problem persists.

I am trying to get HanDbase up and running so that I can port all of my SmartList files over to it. I then plan to convert the whole shooting match over to iPhone and leave the Palm world. Getting things working properly, though, is critical to this whole plan. Please help!!

Just realized this post was never responded to by me. I am so sorry it slipped through my 'radar' for finding new messages. In response to your question:
Is it possible you're using a timed out demo? Please check the hotsync log and see what it reads. Hopefully there are some clues there. Let me know.
dhaupert

Postby wilbrian » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:15 pm

I should have updated this sooner. I got an answer directly from DDH Support. It turns out, in my case, that the data files needed to be in the folder (I'm running Vista) "Documents\Palm OS Desktop\(userinitials)\HanDBase" for all my synching to work properly. It still takes some doing to get the data files to reside there as they want to go to a different default location when originally created. This may be just a workaround, but it works now. I have a hunch that this all has to do with Vista and the half-hearted Palm Desktop software that Palm released that was "Vista Compatible". So I am working this way (having to manually move the data files) until I convert from Palm to iPhone.
wilbrian

Return to HanDBase General Discussion