Linking a note

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Linking a note

Postby grputnam » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:25 pm

I have two questions:
1) I have two data basis: patient information and a patient visit data base. Each day I visit patients and I want certain information brought over to the visit data base from the patient information data base.

I have separate fields for first name and last name and a few other fields that come over when I find the patient name. My process is to open a new visit page and then click on the last name field. I have this as a DB Popup and it sends me to the patient information data base and I choose the patient from the list of patients. If it is a new patient I can add their information to the patient information data base.

When I bring the patient over to the visit data base it brings over the patients last name, first name and a spouse name. In the visit data base it adds the date and other information I will add like unit they are on.

I have a field in the patient information data base for a note. I would like to bring that note over to the visit data base but have not been able to do that. I have tried both link and relationship and neither worked the way I did it. Is there a way to do this?

2) I would also like to link back to the patient information data base when I visited a patient and keep a list of those dates, is that possible?

Thanks,
Gordon
grputnam

Re: Linking a note

Postby dhaupert » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for posting. While the method you implemented works in having a separate patients and visits database, it's not really the ideal layout for what you want to accomplish.

If instead of using DB Popup fields from the visits database to the patients list, you changed the setup such that you always started in the patients database, and added visits through a link in that field, you'd have the following advantages:

1. All visits would be automatically linked up to their patient. You'd always be able to see all visits at a glance of the Visits button within a patient.

2. You can use relationship fields to bring other field values from your patient database to your visits database, without having to duplicate data. Plus, if for example, patient John Doe's spouse was Judy Doe, but is now Jane Doe, your visit database would be immediately up to date- saving you a possible embarrassing conversation ;) This process of eliminating duplicate data and the space required and inconsistency possibility is called data normalization and is good all around.

The note field you mentioned would be somewhat of a casualty whether you keep things as you have them (DB Popup fields are limited to 255 characters max, so anything more would be chopped off) or if you change to the link/linked setup I outlined above (relationship fields only show the first line of a note field you point to). But you can then tap the relationship field to see the related record and read the note from there.

As to how to set this up, I'd recommend looking at any of the patient databases in the Gallery- or reading one of the tutorials we have on our site for the link/linked fields. One of the first databases I made for HanDBase in 1998 was called Patients and is still in the gallery for your perusal, though I'm sure you'd find much more useful database designs than that old database!
dhaupert

Postby grputnam » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks,
I will work on this Monday, I downloaded your patient data base but could not get it to install on my iPod Touch. Will continue this next week.
Gordon
grputnam

Postby grputnam » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:38 am

I have worked for a week to make this work but I am not getting it. Can you show me how to link these two data basis together. The tutorials are confusing to me. Here is my two data basis in a simplified form:

They are set up this way:
Patient information:
Last Name—DB popup with other Database Name “patient information” and other field name “Last Name”
First Name—DB popup with other Database Name “patient information” and other field name “First Name”
Pt. Number—Integer
Initial visit date—Date
Note—Note

Patient visits:
Last Name—DB popup with other Database Name “patient information” and other field name “Last Name”
First Name—DB popup with other Database Name “patient information” and other field name “First Name”
Date of visit—Date
Patient seen—Check box

You suggested linking the two data basis. I would also like to read the note field in the patient data base or at least have it go to the note field in the patient information. If you can show me how to set up each field i might be able to figure out link and relationship. I don't need the step by step directions in the tutorials just what each field should be set at.
Thanks,
Gordon
grputnam

Postby dhaupert » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:18 am

Just for completeness sake, I sent Gordon via email an example set of databases so he could see the field types in action and hopefully help it 'gel' better!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch