Report Headers

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Report Headers

Postby andge_2 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi there!
I'm having trouble getting a report to show one header for multiple records.
It seems that every record prints its own report, which means that you cannot have one header for multiple records.
Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Andrew
andge_2

Re: Report Headers

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:07 pm

As you probably imagined, the reports are basically templates for each record in the report. At this point there is no header or footer option for the entire report. Seems like a great feature to add however!

As a workaround, I'd suggest reading the tutorials on the site for setting up a database with link and linked fields. By using that mechanism, you can add a parent database which has a single record, use that for the header and footer, and then treat the link data (all the child data of the database you have currently) as sub-records within the report. If you do that, and then use your existing database as the child database, and a newly created one as the master, then you can accomplish what you're needing. However:

1. You'd always have to open the master database first, follow the link and then add records through that link.

2. You'd have trouble if you were importing data from a CSV file. It's very hard to recreate the link and linked field's data from another program.

3. You'd have to run the report from the master database.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have specific questions about setting this up.
dhaupert

Postby andge_2 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:01 pm

Seeing as how I am constantly replacing records in the database, that doesn't seem to be an option.
I've tried using a relationship field (so I wouldn't have to repeatedly link the records) but the <follow field> does not seem to work with relationship fields, only linked fields.

Are there any other suggestions you can give me?

Thanks,
Andrew
andge_2

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:09 pm

andge_2 wrote:Seeing as how I am constantly replacing records in the database, that doesn't seem to be an option.
I've tried using a relationship field (so I wouldn't have to repeatedly link the records) but the <follow field> does not seem to work with relationship fields, only linked fields.

Are there any other suggestions you can give me?

Thanks,
Andrew

That is correct- it only functions for link/linked where we know the direction to follow. This could be changed in the future, and I think an overall header would be a great addition to the product. But honestly this is the first such request for it, so we'll have to wait and see if others need this functionality before we can prioritize it over other features and enhancements!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion