Using URL scheme for local database

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Using URL scheme for local database

Postby dimoco » Wed May 09, 2012 12:27 pm

I found on p. 10 of the iPhone user guide under Website Install that I could use "handbase://mydomain.com/mydata.pdb" to access database mydata on mydomain.com. A number of app launchers on the iPhone allow using the URL scheme to start an app, e.g., Launch Center (more info at http://appcubby.com/urls/ or http://wiki.akosma.com/IPhone_URL_Schemes). When I create an entry in Launch Center using handbase:// with or without a database, HanDBase opens with an error message or two. I have multiple databases on my iPhone and I'd like to set up 2 entries in Launch Center to access the 2 databases I use most frequently. What's the syntax for starting HanDBase and automatically opening a database that already exists on the iPhone?

Thanks!
dimoco

Re: Using URL scheme for local database

Postby dhaupert » Wed May 09, 2012 3:21 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. You raise a great question re: launch URLs! I remember when Launch Center was first submitted to the app store and denied by Apple. That was honestly the last I heard of it, and I actually picked up an app called QuickPick which was a simpler version of LaunchCenter but for whatever reason was allowed in the store, however briefly. I have barely used it to be honest, but it has a similar function minus the cool scheduling feature.

As of present there is not a URL to launch into an existing database. That would be something I'd have to add. You can launch in to download one from the web, but not to launch an existing one. I will add that to the todo list for a future version!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch