HDB Reports

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

HDB Reports

Postby lagunacreek » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:48 am

I haven't used my reports for a while, and suddenly they have stopped working (I believe I installed the newest release version between the time they worked and now.)
Reports under: File - Print Reports
Reports installed in: C:\Program Files\HanDBase4\Reports
HanDBase Desktop Version 4.1.5
HanDBase Professional for iPhone Addon 4.1 Build R-1
I open a database with a previously defined report and get the error message
Error: No report templates defined for this Database.
What's up?
lagunacreek

Re: HDB Reports

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:38 am

Hi,

I believe that 4.1.5 was the version that updated for better Vista compatibility when you were not an admin user. In particular, we were not supposed to use c:\program files\... for paths for any sort of data or INI files. In this version, the path for data and files and such is now within your My Documents folder, or specifically:

My Documents\HanDBase

The reports folder would go under there:
My Documents\HanDBase\Reports

Please try creating this folder (if not already there) and copying your templates to it. Hopefully they will start working again!
dhaupert

Postby lagunacreek » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:41 pm

Short answer: Nope.
Long answer:
My HanDBase databases and forms are stored in
C:\Users\Curt\Documents\HanDBase\AlisoCanyon
and HanDBase Desktop functions fine (as well as syncing with my iPhone)
I tried putting the reports in
C:\Users\Curt\Documents\HanDBase\AlisoCanyon\Reports
and
C:\Users\Curt\Documents\HanDBase\Reports
to no avail
Also I tried
C:\Users\Curt\HanDBase\Reports
also to no avail.
Vista creates a "Documents" folder, but it also creates a junction "My Documents" for backwards compatibility, so even if you are specifying "My Documents" Vista should make the conversion to "Documents".
Any other idea?
lagunacreek

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:36 pm

lagunacreek wrote:Short answer: Nope.
Long answer:
My HanDBase databases and forms are stored in
C:\Users\Curt\Documents\HanDBase\AlisoCanyon
and HanDBase Desktop functions fine (as well as syncing with my iPhone)
I tried putting the reports in
C:\Users\Curt\Documents\HanDBase\AlisoCanyon\Reports
and
C:\Users\Curt\Documents\HanDBase\Reports
to no avail
Also I tried
C:\Users\Curt\HanDBase\Reports
also to no avail.
Vista creates a "Documents" folder, but it also creates a junction "My Documents" for backwards compatibility, so even if you are specifying "My Documents" Vista should make the conversion to "Documents".
Any other idea?

The folder would definitely be C:\Users\Curt\Documents\HanDBase\Reports in your case. That's where you would put the .htm Report files you've created. The reference to that is created in the registry during install using generic variable to properly get the Documents\My Documents folder regardless of the Windows version.

I assume you are using Windows Vista. We recently found that our Vista compatibility fixes were not perfect and we've been working to correct that. I did some testing and I'm finding a couple of different things. Can you first check to make sure your files are.htm files, as opposed to .html, at this point that does make a difference. Please also confirm that the very first line of the report files is the actual database name, as you would see it if you go to the General section of DB Properties. Then, can you let us know, when you put the .htm files in C:\Users\Curt\Documents\HanDBase\Reports\ do you still get the error message that no report templates were found? If so are you an Admin user on the computer and do you have UAC enabled?

What I found, even with some additional compatibility fixes for Vista, is that launching the HanDBase Desktop normally I do see the report templates but selecting one and clicking next doesn't do anything. I am an Admin user and have UAC enabled. But if I right click on the HanDBase Desktop and choose Run as Administrator I am able to produce a report. I've discussed this with Dave Haupert so we can figure out why the latter is happening. It would be helpful though to know what you are seeing the way your computer is configured.

From what I'm seeing though, if you are an Admin user you can work around this by right clicking on the HanDBase Desktop icon and choosing Run as Administrator from the menu that pops up. If you are not an Admin then doing that would require an Administrator password to work. Please let us know what you find so we can make sure it's properly fixed for the next release.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby lagunacreek » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:56 pm

I am running Vista as admin, and UAC is turned off.
I tried both running HDB normally, as right click run as admin, and from the Program Files executable as admin.
The particular database I am using is called (although I have many others with reports)
Expenses.pdb
the report is called
Expenses.htm
the first line is
Expenses
(note this configuration worked previously).
I still get the error message/text as noted previously.
This same configuration worked under the previous version. In fact, I had two different reports and was able to choose between.
FYI the report is coded as follows:
Expenses
<hr>
<font face="arial" color="green"><b><small><field2> (<field1>) <field9></small></b></font><br>
<i><field6> <if field10> -- <field10></field10></i><br>
<b><field4></b>: <font color="green">$<field18></font> <small><field5></small>
<if field3><font face="arial"><small> Miles/Rate <field11> (<field12>)</small></font></field3><br>
<small>
<if field13>Exp Report: <field13><br></field13>
<if field13>Reimb: <field14> (<field15>)<br></field13>
Taxes: <field16><br>
</small>
lagunacreek

Postby lagunacreek » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:31 pm

Follow up question:
How long until this is corrected?

For many of my informational databases, I do not maintain an Access backup/copy. However, since it is very easy to upload data to Access, I may just set up a reports database in Access rather than wait for a fix.

thanks
lagunacreek

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:49 pm

lagunacreek wrote:Follow up question:
How long until this is corrected?

For many of my informational databases, I do not maintain an Access backup/copy. However, since it is very easy to upload data to Access, I may just set up a reports database in Access rather than wait for a fix.

thanks

Ok, I've figured out part of the problem. It's due to trying to make the software more Vista compliant. When we first started on that we had the reports folder going to a different folder that should have been accessible by all Windows Users. However based on further research that has changed again, to the folder specified in my previous reply. However, we hadn't had a new build for the iPhone add-ons since we made that decision to change to the Documents folder. So the Desktop that comes with the iPhone Add-ons is looking in a different folder than any of those specified in previous replies.

I will correct this portion of it either later tonight or first thing tomorrow, so that it's looking in the Documents folder, where you currently have the Reports files. That will correct the issue for you, because you have UAC turned off. The lead developer will have to look into why it's not able to run a report with UAC on though. But with the new build I upload tomorrow it should correct it for your installation.

My apologies for any inconvenience.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby lagunacreek » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:18 pm

Where will this be available from?
(Download software only shows latest release version.)
lagunacreek

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:08 am

lagunacreek wrote:Where will this be available from?
(Download software only shows latest release version.)

It will be available on the regular download page and be listed as under Latest Development Release, which you won't see at the moment, until I upload the new Development Build. I haven't had a chance to do that this evening but will work on it first thing tomorrow.

I will post here again when I've gotten that uploaded.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby lagunacreek » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:40 pm

Reports are working again!
thanks
lagunacreek

Next

Return to HanDBase for Windows