HanDBase app for Windows Mobile, Desktop and Android

This forum is for application developers who are integrating HanDBase into their solutions via the HanDBase API (HAPI) or other means. It's also a great place to discuss runtime development.

HanDBase app for Windows Mobile, Desktop and Android

Postby lefulkerson » Sat May 28, 2011 2:12 pm

App is finished, tested (5 years) and ready for user testing before distribution... My daughter has an Android and I'm letting her test it... Can I distribute the HanDBase software necessary for her to test as a .zip packet or can I purchase and she download from your site? Once tested, compilation may be the next step???? This is the first of several applications we're preparing to offer and I can't find a 'developer's' "how to guide"...... Thanks for the help....
lefulkerson

Re: HanDBase app for Windows Mobile, Desktop and Android

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Hello,

Thanks for writing. Please keep in mind that HanDBase is a relational database manager. You are creating database files that can be run via the main HanDBase application. You are free to distribute your database(s) as you see fit - selling or giving them away. However, your end users will each need to purchase their own respective copies of HanDBase from the appropriate stores.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby lefulkerson » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:09 pm

Correct, Brian. My question is for those folks who wish to use my app, which contains multiple databases with links, relationships, years of design and testing, etc. they aren't always developers, they are just plain everyday folks with a need for the tool my app provides.... I've tested 20+ database/application development tools and still have used HanDBase since 1990's..... Now, I want to make the most effective app available to my daughter, granddaughters and others who need to manage their finances during this sluggish d*#! economy we are in..... Being able to budget an entire year is becoming more important every day...... My need is to allow those wishing to try out this app to get the 'trial' downloaded to their desktop and/or their android with as little 'emotion' as possible..... why downlad the app, then download the HanDBase and License it and then find the app is not going to work on their device? BUT, when it does work, they license their HanDBase and the app and get my app license code that drops the 'trial' hooks and can run their application without limitations? Is there a capability to trial and then license the HanDBase while they try the application???? Thanks for your help...
lefulkerson

Postby dkeiffer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:00 am

I could be wrong but I think there is a 30 day trial version of HanDBase.
If there is and hether it can be distributed or not is unknown but would be a great idea for DDH Software to let us distribute it with our apps.
dkeiffer

Postby dhaupert » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:14 am

We always let developers include the entire installer for our trial version in their apps to make things easier. These days with the app stores and such, it's not that easy- Android apps are sold on the Android market, and iPhone/iPad apps are sold via the App Store, and there are not demos for either version of HanDBase. So while you're free to include the demo version of the desktop programs/conduits/etc with your program, it may not have the intended effect!

In actuality, providing your customers with a link to the product you need them to purchase and telling this is a prerequisite is pretty commonplace nowadays. For many years, people have been sending PDF files, Word Documents, etc and all require some type of software to be able to view. In the case of HanDBase, it's a much less known program, but providing a link to the page saying it requires this software installed on your device is really not as bad as it once would seem. This is one of the reasons that we have stopped coming up with runtime engines for newer platforms- there were some developers who bought a runtime version of HanDBase for their databases, but most just went the other route above.
dhaupert

Postby doug4knfpu » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:31 am

how can i download hanDBase to my blackberry torch. is there a link or something.
doug4knfpu

Return to HanDBase - Developers