Mountain Lion

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Mountain Lion

Postby kdlempert » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:36 am

Considering updating my Mac to new OS, Mountain Lion which I sync to iPod Touch. Any compatibility Issues?
kdlempert

Re: Mountain Lion

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:02 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately we haven't updated to Mountain Lion yet. Hopefully one of us will be able to in the near future so we can determine compatibility.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby jonboy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi Brian,

Please clarify what you mean by 'hopefully', and much more specifically 'near future'.
I really depend on you software, and would appreciate full functionality.

Without putting too fine a point on it, the release of Mountain Lion did not come as complete surprise, 'out of the blue' as it were, surely?

Please can you firm up on you plans.

Thanks,

Jon
jonboy

Postby dhaupert » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your post. I can see where this would seem out of the ordinary- why wouldn't we have tested and been using the beta for Mountain lion? I have no reason to believe HanDBase Desktop for Mac would not function on the latest OS, Mountain Lion. Having said that, I have not personally tested on Mountain lion, though I have had some customers who did and reported no issues. I only own a single Mac and a single Windows machine, so I don't have the luxury of installing beta or test versions to it without potentially breaking the coding environments I rely on. Since Mountain Lion required an updated XCode which was still beta level, I felt I would not be able to build release iOS versions of our apps with Mountain lion running on my Mac.

In an ideal world I would have multiple machines, one I could do testing on that is not my development machine, but just don't have the budget for it at this time. So unfortunately I had to wait for it's release, and then subsequently to finish the development project I'm working on before I can upgrade my entire environment.

The one thing I can assure you of is that if the program has any incompatibilities, we'll certainly prioritize a fix. But if there aren't any reports of issues, I would prefer to wait until I finish what I'm in the middle of right now before taking any chances on changing around the entire coding environment!

I hope that makes sense- I know it's not the answer any of us would hope to hear, but it is the truth. I am optimistic that this can be improved in the future!
dhaupert

Postby kdlempert » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:46 am

HanDBase not syncing properly from my IPod touch to Mac desktop under Mountain Lion. Keeps crashing. Hopefully, ddhSoftware can solve the problem shortly with an upgrade/patch.

Users need to be able to update their desktop OS and continue to use HanDBase to sync. I suspect many depend on HanDBase in their work, as I do, and would pay for the upgrade, if necessary.

Can fixing the problem be made a priority by ddhsoftware?
kdlempert

Postby dhaupert » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:58 am

Indeed it already is- hope to have some news for you shortly! Very sorry about this.
dhaupert

Postby jonboy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Any news of update yet Dave?
Like your previous poster, I really depend on the software.
Jon
jonboy

Postby dhaupert » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi,

I just actually emailed a followup to someone who emailed me directly (it may very well have been you as you both have the same first name!). I'm waiting to get some further info and have a test build I'm working that adds some additional logging where the problem seems to reside. So I'm taking some steps on this end and hope to have some news shortly.

From the logs I've received thus far, I don't see any crash happening in any sort of code that could have changed in Mountain lion, and I've searched the dev forums for info of any others seeing issues without any positive match on this function.

I'll post an update here when I've found something definitive. Very sorry that I allowed this situation to occur.
dhaupert

Postby jonboy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Many thanks to Dave for his efforts to help solve this.
He has emailed me and offered great support.

I stumbled onto a solution of my own - I deleted the existing partnership, re-establsihed a fresh one, and the sync. worked!

Thanks again to Dave for his help behind the scenes.

Jon(athan)
jonboy

Return to HanDBase for Mac