Strange user in HanDBase Desktop on Windows XP Pro

Discussion of HanDBase running on Windows Mobile Classic and Professional (formerly Pocket PC) devices and smartphones and syncing with a desktop computer.

Strange user in HanDBase Desktop on Windows XP Pro

Postby mike@dcsamerica.com » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:03 pm

I have an odd problem that shows up on my HanDBase desktop installation. When I save a database, it prompts me for where to install the database and gives me the option to choose from a list of users. The problem is that I only have one user setup, but there are two users in the list. The user on the top of the list is a bunch of weird characters followed by (Pocket PC) and then below that user is my real user "MAE006 (Pocket PC)". In the Windows Mobile Users settings under the configure menu, only the MAE006 user is listed under the ActiveSync user: setting. Where is this strange user coming from and how can I get rid of it.

Thanks,

Mike
mike@dcsamerica.com

Re: Strange user in HanDBase Desktop on Windows XP Pro

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:55 pm

Very interesting problem. We actually build up our list of users from the registry. ActiveSync creates registry entries for each partnership. If you're up for it, launch regedit and browse to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners

In here are a bunch of keys with some type of hex unique IDs. In your case you probably have two.
Under each of these keys are a bunch of information about the partnership. There you can see the path to the documents folder and such. A key value called DisplayName is what we look at to show the name of the user. If you find the garbage one there you know where it comes from.

If you feel confident enough about this, you can delete the unique id master key for that user and it should stop showing up in HanDBase thereafter.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Re: Strange user in HanDBase Desktop on Windows XP Pro

Postby mike@dcsamerica.com » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:53 pm

Thanks Dave,

It helped to know where that list is generated from. I did have an errant entry that was causing the problem and now it's fixed.

Thanks again,

Mike
mike@dcsamerica.com

Return to HanDBase for Windows Mobile Classic and Professional