I can't do anything with Handbase Desktop 4 for Mac

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

I can't do anything with Handbase Desktop 4 for Mac

Postby DennyL » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:45 pm

I have several Handbase databases on my iPhone, but I can't make them appear on the desktop.

1) I have done multiple syncs on my iPhone to Handbase Desktop 4, and I see statements of the form 'Served File: /DatabaseName.PDB' scroll up my phone screen

2) When, in Handbase 4 for Mac, I go to open a file I see a dialog giving me the choice between my phone or backup files. All the backup files are more than two years old, and when I select one and open it the Desktop app remains empty and I don't see the database I chose. The iPhone option doesn't offer any databases, despite having done a sync.

Can anyone offer me any advice so that I can add records on the desktop and sync them to my iPhone.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
DennyL

Re: I can't do anything with Handbase Desktop 4 for Mac

Postby dhaupert » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry for the troubles you've seen. A small number of Mac users are having problems where the conduit seems to complete but the files are not written. I'm trying to work with those that have it directly via email by sending some debug builds and trying to see why this is happening- it's as though the OS is not giving us permission to write the files, but is saying it did (ie, no errors!). Please email me at my address below and we'll try to narrow down the issue together!
dhaupert

Postby Shadylady88 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:32 pm

Oh RATS! I wish I had known that BEFORE I purchased it for my Macbook Pro, 5th Gen. iTouch and my Galaxy Note 2 phone. You would think there would be a database out there that can synch with it all so that it doesn't matter what device you're entering data on. Is there such a Database? What is one to do? I have sooo many lists I need to set up for organization purposes!! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
D.
Shadylady88

Postby dhaupert » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:12 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Not sure what you are referring to as this thread was discussing some older sync issue. HanDBase should be perfect for the needs you described- I sync several iOS devices (an iPad, an iPhone) and a Nexus 7 to the same set of databases without any issue. I can make changes to the databases on the Mac or any of the devices and the changes sync together as I sync them to the Mac using the conduit!
dhaupert

Postby Shadylady88 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:59 am

I purchased everything...Android and iPod/iPad Add-Ons because synching via WiFi was not working - device (iPod 5) would not show for synching. Tried downloading software from site, during installation process, my Macbook says the desktop version I have already is NEWER than trying to download from site. WHAT???? I have money invested. Please help! On same wifi network.

Macbook Pro w/Retina Display
iPod 5th generation and iPad 3
Galaxy Note 3

I think I purchased too much as nothing is working. I purchased Full Version for Desktop.
HELP!!!!!! Why won't it work? Device will not show up on Macbook.
Shadylady88

Postby curtterp » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:38 am

Shadylady88 wrote:I purchased everything...Android and iPod/iPad Add-Ons because synching via WiFi was not working - device (iPod 5) would not show for synching. Tried downloading software from site, during installation process, my Macbook says the desktop version I have already is NEWER than trying to download from site. WHAT???? I have money invested. Please help! On same wifi network.

Macbook Pro w/Retina Display
iPod 5th generation and iPad 3
Galaxy Note 3

I think I purchased too much as nothing is working. I purchased Full Version for Desktop.
HELP!!!!!! Why won't it work? Device will not show up on Macbook.

Did you setup a partnership with the iPod, iPad and the Galaxy Note3?

If you haven't, you need to set that up first. You need to have a WiFi router or WiFi Access Point and the device needs to be connected.

If you are doing this at a company, you need to check with your network administrator to make sure that you can connect two devices across the network. Some companies do not allow direct connection to each other to minimize a virus propagation from computer to computer.

If you are doing this on your home network, you need to make sure that you are using WiFi on your devices and you can connect to the internet (You are not using the internet to sync, it is just a check to make sure that you have a good WiFi connection). You cannot sync across the cell phone network from anywhere.

Setting up a partnership:
  • Turn Wifi on the device(s) and the Macbook Pro
  • Open HanDBase 4 on your Macbook Pro
  • Click on Devices, then select Sync/Configure iPhone/iPad/iPod touch devices
  • You will see a screen that shows all your partnerships that have been set up. If you have one that is not working, delete it at this time
  • Click on the "+" Button to set up a new partnership.
  • Follow the instructions to start HanDBase on your device and to start Desktop Connect. You know when you device is ready, when you see an IP address on the device screen. It will start with "http://" Leave that screen on the device, do not click done
  • On the Macbook Pro, click the Continue button
  • Enter the address that is showing on the device in the box provided on the Macbook Pro. You must include the http and the ":8080" on the end. For example, my address on my device is "http://192.168.1.60:8080". Your number may be different
  • If the Macbook Pro can see the device, you will be prompted for a partnership name. Provide a name, click continue, and you should get an initial sync.
  • Repeat the instructions for each device on the list. For the Note 3, use the Sync/Configure Android Devices in the Device Menu

If your Macbook Pro does NOT see the device, (you didn't get prompted for a partnership name) here are some things to check
  • Make sure you are on the Desktop Connect screen on the device, and the device is awake.
  • Double check the address that you entered
  • Check the IP address on your Macbook Pro. To check it, click on the Apple icon (far left on the Menu bar), then select About this Mac. On the screen that pops up, click on the System Report Button
  • Down the left side of the next screen, click on Network.
  • On the Active services screen, look for WiFi or ethernet. There will be an address listed for either or both (depending if you have a cable connection to your Macbook Pro). The first three sets of numbers MUST MATCH the first three sets on your device. The last set of numbers NEED TO BE DIFFERENT.
  • If the first set up numbers do not match, restart both the Macbook Pro and device by powering down, waiting for about 10 seconds, then power up
  • If you are still unable to connect, please reply with the step that you are having issues with, and any error messages that you are getting

Hope this helps
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Return to HanDBase for Mac