Is the desktop DB encrypted?

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Is the desktop DB encrypted?

Postby filbertguy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:30 pm

I see that the Mac desktop client stores the database file on my hard drive in the Documents folder as a PDB file. I know it's password-protected, but is it also encyrpted just like the handheld version is on my iPhone?
filbertguy

Re: Is the desktop DB encrypted?

Postby dhaupert » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If you have the database set up for encryption, then indeed it would be stored encrypted. There are two sets of security features on the HanDBase platform- one is the password protection feature which is more for keeping users of your database from getting into areas they should not be able to. The other is the true encryption feature which is enabled on a per field basis. In that particular feature, the data fields marked for encryption should always be stored encrypted.

That said, the latter feature doesn't exist on the Mac version YET. If you have a database set to encrypt on the device and then you sync it to the desktop it will be stored encrypted but the Mac version won't be able to open it or use it!

This feature will be coming to the Mac, as well as most all of the features in the program as it exists on the PC version. That is one of our top priorities for 2013!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Mac