Drop down menus still don't work for me

Discussion of HanDBase running on Windows Mobile Classic and Professional (formerly Pocket PC) devices and smartphones and syncing with a desktop computer.

Drop down menus still don't work for me

Postby Daniel Ellis » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am

Dave and/or the glitch-fixer team,

I finally downloaded the development version, because I got tired of the drop down menu problem, and I want to be able to turn on User Account Control again. I am using the HTC Touch Pro. Well, neither problem was solved for me. I posted about the syncing issue under a related post, but the drop down menu problem was the one I was urgently hoping to be fixed. It is still performing as badly as before. It is kind of hard to describe what it is doing. I can tell that it is scrolling through my list just fine, it is just that the options black out or overwrite each other, depending on whether I use the stylus or the 5-way button to initiate the scroll. Surely this has to be fixable somehow. Did this development release fix it for some people? Were they having the same exact problem? I could email you a little video showing you what it looks like when I try to scroll, if that would help.

-Dan

Daniel Ellis
HB Pro 4.1 on WM 6.1 on Alltel(now Verizon) HTC Touch Pro
HB Desktop 4.1 on Vista w/ UAC off, syncing with WMDC
Daniel Ellis

Re: Drop down menus still don't work for me

Postby dhaupert » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi Dan,

Believe it or not, another user sent a video of this happening on their device. I know from the beta team that the development version fixed the problem on several testers devices, but I also knew before the development version release that it didn't fix it for everyone as other testers still had the problem.

I have very limited options in debugging this- I have verified with other developers that we are doing this right, and of course it's worked for every version before some of these Windows Mobile builds. My only options right now are:

1. Try to target Windows Mobile 6 directly and if it works on this, we'll have to handle separate executable files for WM5 and Wm6 users.
2. Switch to using a separate screen for the popup list. That is, the popup list won't really pop up, but switch to another screen with a list of items in it, not unlike the list view.

I don't think users will like #2, and in fact, if they did, they could switch to using a DB Popup now, since that does not have the problem and works simiarly in execution. So I'm working on item #1 above. Hope to have some answers in the next two weeks and will update you on the progress!
dhaupert

Postby Daniel Ellis » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:23 am

Dave,

Thanks for responding. It is nice to know that you are still working on this for WM6. Is this a problem that Microsoft is aware of? Does it cause the same problem for other developers? Is Microsoft planning to fix it on their next WM release?

Maybe I should just make separate dbs for my popups and use the dbpopup. Where I do use dbpopups, it pops up quickly, and functions smoothly, and has the slider scroll bar as a bonus, so I wouldn't mind that too much. But I would still prefer the regular popup if it can be made to work.

I don't know what your restrictions are in using the WM menu system, but could the popup be implemented without the scrolling arrows at top and bottom but with a "more>" item at the bottom of the popup menu that would take you to the next screenfull of popups? If so, this would seem to be a way to avoid the problem by not physically scrolling, but still have the popup functionality. Then on the handbase preferences screen you could have a toggle to display long popups with scrolling arrows or the more> button, which WM6 users would always choose. This would avoid having to provide separate executable files for WM5/6 users.

Daniel Ellis
HB Pro 4.1 on WM 6.1 on Alltel(now Verizon) HTC Touch Pro
HB Desktop 4.1 on Vista w/ UAC off, syncing with WMDC
Daniel Ellis

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:27 pm

Daniel Ellis wrote:Dave,

Thanks for responding. It is nice to know that you are still working on this for WM6. Is this a problem that Microsoft is aware of? Does it cause the same problem for other developers? Is Microsoft planning to fix it on their next WM release?

Maybe I should just make separate dbs for my popups and use the dbpopup. Where I do use dbpopups, it pops up quickly, and functions smoothly, and has the slider scroll bar as a bonus, so I wouldn't mind that too much. But I would still prefer the regular popup if it can be made to work.

I don't know what your restrictions are in using the WM menu system, but could the popup be implemented without the scrolling arrows at top and bottom but with a "more>" item at the bottom of the popup menu that would take you to the next screenfull of popups? If so, this would seem to be a way to avoid the problem by not physically scrolling, but still have the popup functionality. Then on the handbase preferences screen you could have a toggle to display long popups with scrolling arrows or the more> button, which WM6 users would always choose. This would avoid having to provide separate executable files for WM5/6 users.

Unfortunately the development world for Windows Mobile has really died down over the last year or two and there is very little up to date information. I think the iPhone has stolen the wind out of it's sail unfortunately. I have searched for this and only found instance of one other developer reporting it, but in their release notes of a workaround. I emailed them but never heard back :(

Your more> suggestion is a good one. Once I can nail down the other options as NOT being plausible, I may pursue something like that!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows Mobile Classic and Professional