"database was not found"

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

"database was not found"

Postby draak1702 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:58 am

It happens with annoying frequency: I get this message on my hotsync log:
"HanDBase warning: Database 'Bird_Watch.' was not found and was moved into an 'archive' subdirectory due to deletion or moving to a memory card. If you moved the DB to a Memory Card on your device you will now find it syncing to a separate storage card folder on your desktop. 09/17/09 23:15:47"

In this case - can't be sure about previous times - the log before this one said this:
"HanDBase error syncing 'Bird Watch': 09/17/09 22:25:44
- could not write handheld record: SyncWriteRec
- SyncMgr error: SYNCERR_UNKNOWN
HanDBase error: 09/17/09 22:25:44
- Problem saving records to the handheld device. Database 'Bird Watch' deleted from device.
HanDBase error: 09/17/09 22:25:44
- Search your 'HanDBase backup' Palm user directory for a backup of this database to restore.
HanDBase error syncing 'Bird Watch': 09/17/09 22:26:04
- Could not write out handheld database"

I'm using a Palm m515, OS4.1.4.
I can find the archive & restore the db, but the sync error shouldn't happen.

What can I do to stop it? Why don't I get an audible warning when the db gets deleted?

Thanx for advice!
Ðale
draak1702

Re: "database was not found"

Postby dhaupert » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi Dale,

I've never heard of a record write error like that happening. We use a standard conduit call to add a record to a database. It sounds like that update is failing and I wonder if there is a failing memory issue there, or perhaps something else hardware related. No doubt the m515 is quite an old device.

Do you see this only on one database, or a bunch of different ones?
dhaupert

Postby draak1702 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:27 am

Hi Dave,

Thanx for your answer. I'm not really proud of this *first*....

I think, but I can't remember for sure, that it only happens with this DB - at least recently. Whether that's because this is just coïncidentally the last one I've used before synchronizing, I can't tell you either. Can I look up ancient sync logs somewhere?

I try to remember to return to HanDBase home after using a DB - not sure whether that could make a difference, tho I suspect that it shouldn't.

There's more than 1700 kb of free memory. Could that be a problem?

Thanx again for all advice!
Best regards,
Ðale
draak1702

Postby dhaupert » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:15 pm

Unfortunately Hotsync deletes older log automatically so no way to go back unless you keep backups.

Regarding the free memory- that seems like more than enough. Hate to blame the hardware, but it sure sounds like it could be failing at this point.

I wish I had some more suggestions for you at this point! The only thing I could recommend is trying to disable the HanDBase conduit. If you do that, the Backup conduit will continue backing things up, and hopefully the fact that it won't be overwriting the database on the handheld will keep the problem from happening again.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows