Can't open Gallery files in HanDBase Mac Desktop

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Can't open Gallery files in HanDBase Mac Desktop

Postby benevision » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi,
I downloaded an applet from the Gallery (project_assignments.zip) but HanDBase Mac Desktop doesn’t recognise the .pdb files as valid datatbases. "the selected file is not a HanDBase database file"
I tried opening them on my old Palm OS device and editing them, in case this might update the file format. (I was still using HanDBase 2.75!). Other files created on the Palm have transferred over fine to Mac Destop and hence iPhone...

Please advise what I'm doing wrong here...
I can't actually recall the exact procedure I used to get mac/iphone access to my Palm databases when I first moved to iPhone, but it wasn't a traumatic experience...

Thanks in advance.
benevision

Re: Can't open Gallery files in HanDBase Mac Desktop

Postby dhaupert » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:54 pm

The HanDBase iPhone and HanDBase for Mac versions can read databases in HanDBase 3 and HanDBase 4 formats. But they can't read older formats. When the iPhone version first shipped, we went through the 2000+ entries in the gallery and updated most all of them to the latest format so that they could be read on the iPhone and on the Mac.

In the case of Project Assignments, it does not appear to be updated to the format, and I'm not sure why. I am fairly certain it's still in the old format as it's being omitted from the iPhone version of the gallery which checks the version of the files before including them. I'm forwarding this to Brian in support who handled the updates to find out what the issue was, and will update this topic when I hear back!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Mac