Sync between desktops

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Sync between desktops

Postby ThomasW » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:55 pm

I'd like to do something requested in a previous forum post and be able to sync two desktop machines. The environment I'm envisioning is two PCs (on the same local network), either of which can access HanDBase databases. I also sync to an Android phone.

I currently have one PC and the phone setup to sync without any trouble, so the question is syncing the two desktop machines. It appears that HanDBase requires the desktop databases to be in the HanDBase folder of My Documents (I can't find a way to move it).

I can set the Handbase folders on each desktop PC to automatically sync (via Ubuntu One). Ubuntu One is a cloud sync application something like Dropbox, but you can specify additional folders to sync between machines.

The question is if I'll get into trouble syncing the databases in this manner. Assume that HanDBase will only be running on one machine at a time and the databases will be synchronized.

Alternately, could each desktop be setup to sync with the android phone, with each being properly merged? I believe the Palm Desktop used to do this though I never had that need when I used Palm devices.
ThomasW

Re: Sync between desktops

Postby curtterp » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:08 am

ThomasW wrote:I'd like to do something requested in a previous forum post and be able to sync two desktop machines. The environment I'm envisioning is two PCs (on the same local network), either of which can access HanDBase databases. I also sync to an Android phone.

I currently have one PC and the phone setup to sync without any trouble, so the question is syncing the two desktop machines. It appears that HanDBase requires the desktop databases to be in the HanDBase folder of My Documents (I can't find a way to move it).

I can set the Handbase folders on each desktop PC to automatically sync (via Ubuntu One). Ubuntu One is a cloud sync application something like Dropbox, but you can specify additional folders to sync between machines.

The question is if I'll get into trouble syncing the databases in this manner. Assume that HanDBase will only be running on one machine at a time and the databases will be synchronized.

Yes you can get yourself into a whole lot of trouble trying to do this. Ubuntu One is a file level sync only. If there is changes on each computer, you will lose changes from one or the other. I know that you said assume it will be running on only one at a time, but if there is a chance to have changes on both machines, at some point it will happen. :D

ThomasW wrote:Alternately, could each desktop be setup to sync with the android phone, with each being properly merged? I believe the Palm Desktop used to do this though I never had that need when I used Palm devices.

Yes you can do it. It is a little safer to do it this way, but more work involved (running back and forth between the machine to ensure that the changes make their way to both desktops. The WiFi sync will make this a little easier to do, but you will still need to sync multiple times to ensure changes on each desktop are synced with each other.

One question, what is your use case (workflow) for the reason to want to have HanDBase on both machines? There might be other ways to achieve this with less running and still keep up to date.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby vincentn » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:20 am

Hi, I am interested in using multiple desktops with HanDBase on the same databases. The databases might be updated on each desktop and I want to be able to merge the databases successfully. Could someone guide me through the steps necessary for this? I see in the above comments that it seems to be possible. Thanks.
vincentn

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi there,

Great question- let's assume you have three desktops that all want to share the databases. One may consider sharing a drive (mapping a network drive, DropBox, Google Drive, etc) among the computers and just letting each user access the same file. But often that's not a good solution, especially if edits are being made simultaneously.

So what you can do instead is keep separate copies of the database files on each computer and merge them as needed. To do a merge, you open your own copy of the database and then choose File|Merge Database and then select the incoming file. This will first make sure the database files are compatible for a merge, and then apply all of the changes (additions, edits, and deletes) from the incoming database to your own copy. Then you can continue working with the database with all of it's changes applied.

As you may be able to guess, this is a one way merge- meaning that the other users' database is not updated with your changes. So you'd have to have the other users use the same merge procedure or distribute a merged file to them.

Hopefully with a cloud sync solution we will allow for multiple desktops to sync automatically and with no user interaction required. That's something that has been in development and is actually being scrapped and restarted using a completely different implementation. So it's not due out this year at this point but it is planned for the future!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows