HANDBASE: Syncing with ICS/Jellybean

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: HANDBASE: Syncing with ICS/Jellybean

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:42 pm

joelroth wrote:Just bought Samsung Galaxy SIII. I could not get it to sync via USB, it kept saying HanDBase was not detected on any connected SD card. However, after downloading the new version, wireless sync worked flawlessly so perhaps it doesn't matter that I can't sync via USB.

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know- I'm glad it's syncing over wifi, which is truly a better option if you're on a wifi network anyway. And it's the future for our product going forward so glad it's working for you!
dhaupert

Postby cbw » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:49 am

Best Results yet trying to sync, but I have a reoccurring problem. Some pdbs sync fine, others display an error message stating : Forbidden the user name and password is not correct. I am using a router with no security enabled
cbw

Postby dhaupert » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:58 am

You're seeing this error using the new Wifi sync feature or via the original method of this thread - using the third party tool?
dhaupert

Postby cbw » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:46 pm

Sorry, I guess I should have started a new thread. The error message regarding user and password occurs when using wireless sync with 4.6.04 Android and 4.6.1 desktop. What I do to get a full sync is to rerun the sync wizard until I get a sync with no error messages. Often during this process I will get a message stating that there are no databases on the handheld, and if I continue the sync all pdbs will be archived. Yes this does happen to the desktop if I continue, but all the pdbs on the Nexus 7, running ver 4.2.2, remain on the Nexus as if nothing went wrong. I do not continue the sync, but go through various gyrations to get the desktop and Nexus to talk again and sync. At this time I do not have a pattern established on this.
Hope this helps
cbw

Postby mtbusiness » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:25 pm

I am using the wifi solution to sync with a Motorola RAZR MAXX HD but am not able to get the changes I make on the desktop to sync with the Android. Changes I make on the Android do change the database on the desktop.What do I do.
I have had HanDbase before when I was using a Palm Treo years ago, so I think I have all the settings correct. Help please.
mtbusiness

Postby curtterp » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:33 am

mtbusiness wrote:I am using the wifi solution to sync with a Motorola RAZR MAXX HD but am not able to get the changes I make on the desktop to sync with the Android. Changes I make on the Android do change the database on the desktop.What do I do.
I have had HanDbase before when I was using a Palm Treo years ago, so I think I have all the settings correct. Help please.

When you say changes, are you talking about changes in the records or adding records, or are you making changes to the database itself, adding fields, views etc?

If you are just making changes to the records, then you want to check the settings in Edit Sync Settings on the desktop. Highlight the database in question and check to make sure that you are doing a sync both ways. It might be that the setting is Android to Desktop only.

If you are making changes to the database, are you installing the database after making the changes? The device is the master, so if you make any changes, add views, fields etc, then do the install to device step, otherwise you will not get the changes over to the device.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby curtterp » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:34 am

cbw wrote:Sorry, I guess I should have started a new thread. The error message regarding user and password occurs when using wireless sync with 4.6.04 Android and 4.6.1 desktop. What I do to get a full sync is to rerun the sync wizard until I get a sync with no error messages. Often during this process I will get a message stating that there are no databases on the handheld, and if I continue the sync all pdbs will be archived. Yes this does happen to the desktop if I continue, but all the pdbs on the Nexus 7, running ver 4.2.2, remain on the Nexus as if nothing went wrong. I do not continue the sync, but go through various gyrations to get the desktop and Nexus to talk again and sync. At this time I do not have a pattern established on this.
Hope this helps

What Windows version are you running?
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby moneil » Fri May 10, 2013 5:18 pm

kronhead wrote:Worked with Samsung Galaxy SIII, Android 4.0.4, and Vista Home Premium. Hurray!!

I would urge everyone who uses this, to spend the 99 cents to buy the Pro version of WebDav - to compensate those developers for their work, and to encourage them to support and enhance it in the future. And, interesting: the pro version says you can use this over a USB cable connection! Haven't tried it - probably no reason to - but for those who don't have wifi, it might work. It does require installing a PC program that's part of the Android software development toolkit.

Dan

Though a bit irrelevant for most now with the wi-fi sync option in HanDBase I tried the protocal Brian outlined above with WebDev on the Nook HD Plus, except I set it up for USB sync rather than wi-fi. It worked BEAUTIFULLY! I purchased the pro version of WebDav. I'm not sure what Dan is refering to in his last sentence, I didn't have to install any additonal PC program. The only thing I did different from Brian's protocal is when I set up the Nook HD as a new Android user I set it up as an USB rather than a wi-fi sync.

The reason I tried this now is I am having difficulty with direct wi-fi sync on the Nook HD which I asked about here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3115

Though when I'm at home wi-fi sync works well enough the reason I am excited to see that this protocal worked with USB sync is I work in agricultural production and research, and may be doing some natural resource management in the future. This involves being out in environments with NO wi-fi connection and often no data signal on the cellular phone (so e-mailing a file out or backing up to a cloud is not an option). If I'm in the field overnight I really, really want to be able to get new data input off the the phone or tablet and onto a laptop, both for backup security and also to be able to work with the data in Windows based programs. The trend toward wi-fi only syncing has been causing me great concern. I'll probable be upgrading my phone later and hope this USB protocal will work with the new phone also (look at the Samsung Galaxy Note II).
moneil

Postby kronhead » Fri May 10, 2013 10:39 pm

moneil wrote:I'm not sure what Dan is refering to in his last sentence, I didn't have to install any additonal PC program.

I have no idea what I meant by that either!

Dan
kronhead

Postby dhaupert » Fri May 10, 2013 11:19 pm

moneil wrote:Though when I'm at home wi-fi sync works well enough the reason I am excited to see that this protocal worked with USB sync is I work in agricultural production and research, and may be doing some natural resource management in the future. This involves being out in environments with NO wi-fi connection and often no data signal on the cellular phone (so e-mailing a file out or backing up to a cloud is not an option). If I'm in the field overnight I really, really want to be able to get new data input off the the phone or tablet and onto a laptop, both for backup security and also to be able to work with the data in Windows based programs. The trend toward wi-fi only syncing has been causing me great concern. I'll probable be upgrading my phone later and hope this USB protocal will work with the new phone also (look at the Samsung Galaxy Note II).

Hi there,

On iOS we have tested the ability to connect via adhoc so that when you set up this link the devices should be able to connect to each other over their own private wifi network connection! I read once that Android doesn't yet support AdHoc. Brian or Curt may be able to comment on whether that is still the case. If and when Android has wifi adhoc support, this should solve your problem above..
dhaupert

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for Android